prologue

Darkness.

It surrounded Sonnie. Made her feel numb, after all the pain. She preferred the pain. She would rather feel all the pain, feeling meant she had survived - not feeling at all made her unsure, scared.

But suddenly there was feeling again.

Drowning, she was drowning. A thick liquid filled her nostrils, her lungs, her mouth when she opened it in an attempt to breath. She was going to drown, she was going to die.

And then there was a voice, telling her to calm down, to not fight it and just try to breathe.

Gee, thanks for the advice. Would like to see you try....

Still, she did as she was told, following the voice's advice while she tried so hard not to panic by trying to focus on something else. She chose to focus on the voice.

It belonged to a girl, for that she was sure, she sounded young, and it was pleasant to listen to. She was standing close to her, yet she was blocked by something, maybe she was in a confided space?

Finally, Sonnie managed to find her breathing once more and was now challenging herself to open her eyes. Once she did, two things became clear; Firstly, she was the one in a confined space, in a tank, her beasties tank to be more precise, and secondly, the girl was young. And pretty. Looking up at her with concern written all over her face as Sonnie slowly took in the differences of her body, it was not her body.

"Can you move at all?" asked the blonde girl. Inside the tank there was little room for big movements, but Sonnie could manage some movement, if she had tried, that is. But she didn't, because she noticed the tablet the girl was holding, on the screen there were two figures - her own, and the beastie.

She had done this.

What had she done, exactly?

When the blonde did not detect any movements, the girl's eyes flickered back to the tablet she had been holding, typing away God knows what, softly mumbling something that Sonnie could not hear, simply watching her lips as they moved, her eyebrows scrunched up in concentration. She continued to type away, her green eyes reflecting the red and purple colors of the screen, completely unaware of the beastie's tail slowly coming out of the tank.

-

She shouldn't have done this.

What was she thinking? Putting her brain in the beast's body and thinking it would work. It wasn't normal, it had never been done before and even if it had, she certainly was not qualified for this kind of... procedure. It wasn't her place, it wasn't right. But no, she did it anyway, biting more than she can chew.

But the stats on her tablet showed that everything was good, she should be moving just fine.

"This doesn't make any sense." she checked the stats for what appeared to be the hundredth time, "You were supposed to be okay..."

So why the fuck wasn't she?

Maybe it had been too much for her to handle, after what she went through. Perhaps it was wrong of Kate to assume that she would survive this, she felt her stomach drop as she realized how horrible that was of her. And as she tried to shake off her ever-growing guilt, she was cut off by the tank opening, the liquid spilling out, wetting her yellow boots, but she was frozen in place even when she felt Khanivore's breath fanning her face when she snarled at her.

Well, the blonde certainly did not expect for Sonnie to be happy, so the snarl was not a surprise, but after saving her life the last thing she had thought was going to happen was come face to face with the beast's sharp teeth when it roared in her face, blowing the front stands of her hair back and all Kate could do was scream back, hurriedly pressing a button on her tablet and watch as unconsciousness took over the beast - no, Sonnie.

She had clearly miscalculated, however, because when she had pressed the button to connect Sonnie with her human body that was resting in its own pod a few feet away, that left the beast limb to fall on top of her.

"WES!" She shouted at the top of her lungs, struggling and failing to lift the giant body from on top of her.

At the sound of her voice the man came running with Ivrina and when she thought she was going to pass out the weight was lifted from her body. When she was allowed to breathe again, she immediately got up and run to the human pod, checking its function and ensuring the enesthisia was still working.

Once Wes and Ivrina had placed Khanivore back in her pod, they stood next to her, "What happened?"

"She woke up" was the short, nonchalant answer.

"Yeah, obviously. " Ivrina put a hand on her hip, gesturing at the beast behind her, "But how did you end up under her?"

"She," Kate cleared her throat, "got herself out."

Stunned silence followed her words, for which the girl was more than happy, she preferred quiet when she was working on something.

"So, it worked" Wes' voice cracked, that got her full attention. Turning around to face him, Kate found tears brimming his eyes, and Ivrina looked absolutely elevated, grinning from ear to ear like she was high.

"You, mad fucking genius"

Kate scratched the back of her neck, below her undercut, "I don't think I can be called that"

"Mad or a genius?" Ivrina teased, wrapping a hand around her, making the girl blush. She found herself being thankful for the red light in the room.

"Genius"

"So, you are mad?" Wes, Ivrina's partner in crime, also wrapped his arm around the blonde, so she ended up being squeezed between the two, making her giggle

"I suggested this, didn't I?" If this didn't scream mad, then Kate didn't know what did.

"And you succeeded, Kate!" Wes grabbed her shoulders, shaking her wildly to the point where she started getting dizzy and Ivrina cheered by her side, leaving her at his mercy. She didn't mind, if she was being honest, as long as she didn't have to do this whole thing again.....

Little did she know.