26. Stay On Mission

Bittersweet goodbyes

[Y/N POV]

We defeatedly run through the jungle.

"Any sign of them?" I yell

"Not yet!" Darius pants

"Come on!" Yaz hops over a tree log, helping us to do the same

Darius hands me the laptop before following Yaz and I.

[Brooklyn POV]

Hawkes pushes me out the door roughly

Dr Wu raises his eyebrows in surprise. "You! You and the other campers never made it out the island."

I glare at him. "Oh you know, we just happen to enjoy death and destruction." I snap sarcastically.

"Hate to miss out this reunion, but her friends took the laptop." Hawkes grabs my shoulder and pulls me along with him angrily.

"Yaz is pretty much the fastest girl on the planet. Darius is a pro at avoiding dinos, and Y/N is basically the wild daughter of this island. Trust me. They're long gone by now." I smile triumphantly.

"Not with Hawkes on their tail. They won't get far."

[Y/N POV]

"I know you can hear me!" Hawkes yells

We gasp and bunch up together.

"Set down the laptop, and nobody gets hurt. I won't come any closer. You have my word"

I scoff quietly, not believing him.

Yeah right. 'We have your word'. As if, you lying scum, I furiously think to myself

We back away slowly, just as I hear Baryonyxes screech. I smile with triumph, knowing that one of the goons got attacked.

I guess Hawkes partly gives up because he frustratedly yells at us, "We're heading to the valley to load up the chopper. That gives you about two hours to get there and bring me the laptop. It's the only way you'll ever see your friend again."

[Ben POV]

We trek through the jungle tiredly, pushing aside leaves and fern. I pick up some worms and eat them, giving me a temporary relief, but also reminding me of Y/N.

I miss her so much, and I don't even know if she's safe. Closing my eyes painfully, I feel them well up with a few drops of tears, but I brush them off.

Honestly, I never expected to ever have feelings for a girl like I do for
Y/N, but there's just something about her that makes me always want to be by her side, holding her hand, hugging her, making her laugh and smile and just liking her more than a friend all the way through.

I must have stopped walking from my train of thought, because Caleb nudges me softly on my shoulder. "Hey, Ben. Why'd you stop walking?"

I glance at him and just sigh and shake my head.

He shrugs and we continue walking forward.

"No sign of ol' Rexy." Sammy sighs

"Yeah, but no sign of our friends either." Kenji says.

"Maybe they're back on the boat." Caleb suggests.

I walk forward and look at the ship. "They can't be."

It stands there staring at me, empty and untouched.

Sammy turns me around joyfully and giggles with delight "Cause they're here!"