42. The Final Test (Pt. 2)

Guilt and disappointment

[Y/N POV]

Even as we're walking away from the scene, I feel goosebumps all over my skin, and my hair is raised.

"Did you see Big Eatie's eyes? They were terrified." Darius says then sigh. "I just... I just can't believe they did it."

"I can't either." I grimly mumble. Ben glances at me, and locks my fingers with his. I let out a little sigh.

"I can. And to top it all off, I'm late for my date." Brooklyn glumly says.

"I... I'm no romance expert." Ben says, with a quick glance at me that I don't notice. "but telling Kenji about Kash controlling dinosaurs really isn't the best date convo."

A small chuckle slips out my lips. "I mean, he's not wrong."

"Of course I'm not wrong." Ben cockily says, tossing his head, and I grin. Only Ben can make me laugh at the grimmest of times.

"Well, how am I gonna tell him this?" Brooklyn says desperately.

"Maybe just don't?" I tentatively suggest. "No, screw that, we have to tell him."

"I'm not sure there's a good way." Darius says. "But Y/N's right. He needs to know."

(rustling and growls)

The two brown Velociraptors that we had seen before suddenly pop out of nowhere.

"Shoot." Ben mumbles.

"At least I'm not one of them anymore." I mutter. Recently, my raptor urges have been quieting down, but I occasionally still feel like becoming one

"But you might be!" Ben says as we back away.

"Not the time!" Brooklyn yells.

[3rd POV]

The mahogany door opens and Kenji steps out wearing a black suit, shiny leather shoes, and a fancy, striped tie. He is holding a bright yellow flower in one hand and he proudly smiles at us

Sammy gasps. "Kenji, you look absolutely adorable."

"Is that flower for Brooklyn?" Caleb asks with his shining wide eyes.

"I just can't with you right now!" Sammy gushes.

"Dude, couldn't find any pink flowers?" Yaz says with a slight smirk playing on her lips.

"Actually, her favorite color is yellow." Kenji says. "Weird, right?"

"Huh." Caleb mumbles.

"That's surprising." Sammy beams.

"Didn't see that coming." Yaz says, nudging Sammy.

"Thanks, guys. I... I really owe you." Kenji tells them.

"Don't mention it. We had fun." Yaz says

"Well, that's mostly because Yaz mostly just lazed on the couch and told us what to do--"

Yasmina claps her hand over Caleb's mouth, and smiles smugly.

"Good luck!" Sammy says. "Brooklyn's so gonna love this."

"Alright. Let's get out of here." Yaz says, her hand still clenched firmly on Caleb's mouth, and pushes the three friends out the room. "Wouldn't want to crash the date!"

Kenji positions himself in a formal position, unable to control his beating heart for the night to come.

Little does he know that it isn't coming to him.