𝟶𝟷| 𝙵𝚒𝚛𝚜𝚝 𝙼𝚎𝚎𝚝

4 years ago

4 years ago

"Jenna, será mejor que ganes esto; I didn't leave work early for you to lose." Mom stated strictly as we both stepped out of the car, walking to the competition venue where the annual spelling bee contest is being held.

It's a typical Friday night for a middle schooler like me, who wants to win the competition and make my parents proud, especially my Mom. Besides, I'm the representative of our school and it is said that the winner gets a decent amount of prize money, probably one hundred.

De acuerdo. I'll stop with the nonsense.

The real reason I participated is that I wanna replace my worn, chipped, spine-bent, Harry Potter books, because of binge-reading at least a million times.

I know this sounds weird, but English kind of....isn't my first language.

My mom is a Spanish immigrant, while my dad is a US-American.

Growing up, I felt more comfortable speaking Spanish than English, so this is kind of a challenge for me, and I studied with extra determination because of the prize money.

"You came prepared, right?" My mom asked as we continued walking further.

"Yup," I replied, nodding my head.

I like to delude myself that someone used "Felixir Felixis", also known as "Liquid Luck", on my mom.

Because never in a million years, would mom get off work early, even if she's sick.

Yeah, she's a workaholic.

We continued walking in silence, mom typing something away on her phone and I was admiring the artworks furnishing the walls.

Suddenly, my mom's phone started ringing and she looked at me,"Jenna, you can go ahead. I'll be back after I'm done with this phone call." Mom announced before ushering me to go ahead.

I gave a slight nod, and sighed internally before walking forward.

Mom left work early yet she's getting bombarded with work calls, can't we actually have some time together in peace?

I was strolling at a lazy pace, sipping the apple juice I brought on our way here, and humming to the latest One Direction song since we have a bit of time left until the competition begins.

I stopped in my tracks when something, wait- someone was approaching my way, I blinked once when it was coming into my focus.

It was a boy running at full speed.

I narrowed my eyes to pinpoint what was happening, because he bumped into several other people and was heading my way.

Why was he running like Voldemort was chasing after him?