𝟶𝟿| 𝚆𝚎𝚎𝚔𝚎𝚗𝚍

The last period passed by in a blur, which I was grateful for because there was no drama involved

The last period passed by in a blur, which I was grateful for because there was no drama involved. As a part of the student council, I also checked and made sure the preparations for the upcoming fundraising event was going well, studied in the library for a good amount of time, and now I'm walking myself home.

Exhausted and tired, I feel like a dead man walking right now.

I reached home, and opened the door expecting no one to be home like usual. But I'm caught off-guard when I saw my dad on the couch, typing away something on his laptop.

I blinked twice to make sure I was not imagining things.

The corners of my lips turned upwards and I found myself smiling widely. Where is that sudden burst of energy coming from?

"Dad, I'm home." I greeted enthusiastically, entering inside.

"Hmm," He hummed, acknowledging my presence while not taking his eyes off the screen.

I removed my shoes and placed them in the corner, replacing them with slippers and going inside the living room.

"Jen, how was school? Staying on top of your classes, eh?" Dad asked leisurely, as he typed away something on his laptop. I placed my bag on the couch and took a seat beside him.

Again about the darn school. Does my life revolve around school only?

School is important, don't say that.

"Excellent. Our science teacher assigned us a group project, and guess who's my partner?" Dad looked at me once before focusing on his laptop screen again.

"Addy?"

"No. It's Ian Walker!" I groaned in despair as I deflated like a balloon on the couch. I watched how my dad's eyes were on me and he had a look of recognition on his face.

"Oh, him? The kid who you're always competing with for first place? He's a nice kid, helped me in the grocery store once long back." Dad remarked, his attention on me now.

The amount of times my smile is dropping because of you-know-who is getting concerning. A nice kid? Did he perform an illusion spell on my father? And when the hell did he meet my father?

I sighed in disbelief,"He's the most infuriating person to exist, don't worry." I sugarcoated and rolled my eyes.

"Hey, he's actually a decent kid. Don't talk about others like that, Jen." Dad broke out into a smile, probably remembering the time in middle school when I non-stop complained about Ian winning against me in the spelling bee competition.

"Besides, I know you both will put aside your differences and work well together. It's a matter of companionship." Dad gave the advice from his years of working as a police lieutenant, typing something away on the keyboard again.

My father, Arthur Evans, is kind of a famous figure in New Jersey's police. Due to his ability to remain level-headed and work well under pressure, he has led many teams and investigations, accomplishing and solving a lot of criminal cases.