𝟺𝟸| 𝚁𝚎𝚜𝚘𝚕𝚟𝚎𝚍

It's been a couple of weeks already since me and my mom weren't talking, things have been so awkward that even my dad couldn't stand it anymore

So, here I am, being dragged by my dad into the living room, where she was perched on the throne- aka the kitchen seat. I noticed how my mom's fingers are flying across the keyboard, typing aggressively and the glasses perched low on her nose, combined with her curly hair pulled into a bun. She looked like a dragon ready to breathe fire on anyone who will breathe wrong around her. 

“Alright, Jenna.” My dad's voice snapped me out of my thoughts.

I cleared my throat, taking cautious steps toward the kitchen counter, opposite of where my mom was sitting. In case, she decides to burn me to a crisp.

We stayed in silence, neither one of us backing down. It's either she's going to be an adult, and talk to me or we will not make any progress.

“Honey, Talk to Jenna.”

Yeah, Mom. Talk to your only daughter.

My mom stopped aggressively typing, and turned to face Dad rather than me,”I guess it's been days since last time, wanna talk about it?”

“Yes, please.” I whispered, under my breath.

I could feel my dad smiling behind me.

“I've had some time to think, and I realised I was a bit too much that day.”

A bit? Yeah, right. I nodded and remained quiet, wishing for her to continue but of course, she wouldn't.

“Do you support my decision?”

“Not really, but I realised it's your life and you have a right to be whatever you want, just like Noah. I'll try my best to understand.”

“But why?”

“Why, what?”

“Why don't you support my decision to be a lawyer?”

My mother's response was swift and firm,”Because I sent you to school to become something better, not a lawyer. Your education is important, and a doctor is the better choice.”

“School, school, school, that's what you guys always talk about.” I mumbled under my breath as a mix of confusion and frustration took over me.

I'm my mother's daughter, after all.

“Young lady, what are you talking about?” My mom asked, her voice rising,”Yeah, Jen. What do you mean?” My dad joined in.

Since we are ‘talking’ right now, I might as well go all out.

“I feel like you guys prioritise my education over me. I mean, I think that my education is important as well, but sometimes, I think you put it above me.”

The room fell silent, and it was broken a few moments later by my dad's voice,”Jen, How long have you been feeling this way?”

“For a long time, especially during moments like these. It's always about school, you guys never ask how I'm doing or whether I'm okay or not, only about studies.”