1350: Grim

Many people had already come to work in the Sky Journey company's office. The sound of keyboards typing, phones ringing, the buzzing of the central air conditioning... "Who is she?" Someone whispered to a colleague as they passed Deng Yilan.

Deng Yilan sat on the waiting sofa amidst the passing employees, never before realizing so vividly how uncomfortable it was to be in pajamas and slippers. She wiped her hands on her pants several times, and her palms quickly became sweaty again.

"Hey, you." Mr. Peng, who came out of an office, poked his head out and instructed a girl, "Bring Miss Deng over here."

Deng Yilan looked up and saw a pale face with a tightly pressed expression. The girl was the one who had spoken to her outside the gate. She didn't even make eye contact as she walked over and quietly asked her to come.

"Sorry to keep you waiting," Mr. Peng said politely, motioning for her to sit down. "Have you met Xiao Liu from our office?"

The girl avoided Deng Yilan's gaze and shook her head unsurely; not wanting to make it difficult for her, Deng Yilan preemptively said, "I met her outside... because I lost my wallet and wanted to borrow money from her to go home. She thought I was a scammer and asked me many questions."

As soon as the words came out, Deng Yilan herself was surprised. She had never been good with words. When she first joined the company, she was young, and the leaders always called the other female colleagues to accompany clients, but not her because the leaders thought she was too honest and inflexible. Since when could she come up with an excuse so smoothly and effortlessly?

Mr. Peng nodded, glanced at Xiao Liu, and then let her go.

'I don't know the security guard,' Deng Yilan suddenly remembered what the girl had told her. That day, an unfamiliar security guard took Han Jun away, and today, there isn't even a single security guard at Sky Journey company.

"How is the investigation progressing?" She took a few seconds to return to her senses, and Mr. Peng had already asked with a smile.

Deng Yilan squinted, carefully observing him for a moment. The sunlight filtered through the window leaves, shining on his meticulously groomed hair and golden-rimmed glasses. The fact that he had assaulted someone, especially Han Jun, suddenly seemed somewhat unbelievable at this moment.

"I've been a few times, but they just told me to wait at home for updates."

"Well, just wait patiently," Mr. Peng nodded, his skin showing signs of aging despite his efforts to maintain it. "I have confidence! I believe in the impartiality of the law."

Yes, the impartiality of the law... Deng Yilan tightly grasped her pajamas, repeating these words to herself in a daze.

"I care a lot about Han Jun, and I heard about his death, I feel really upset. How about this? I'll ask my friends in the bureau for you and try to find more information." Mr. Peng's expression softened almost to a kindly one. "What we want is the same, to give Han Jun justice as soon as possible and punish the culprit. During this time, you should rest at home, alright?"

Deng Yilan remained silent.

"I understand you're sad, but you must care for yourself. Look, you're running around outside in your pajamas in the middle of the night, lost your wallet, and can't even go home. If Han Jun knew, he'd be so upset, wouldn't he? If someone sees you, they might think you're mentally unstable." Mr. Peng shook his head and took a few bills from his wallet. "Consider it my kindness. Take this money and take a taxi home."

She still didn't say anything.

"Miss, say something. What are you thinking?"

Deng Yilan slowly raised her head. "...Cave people."

Doomsday Wonderland Vol. 11: Modern World [Complete]जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें