Prelude

"Stop! Let him go!" I yelled as I struggled against the man that held me back.

Angry tears were streaming down my face as I hopelessly watched the one person--I was to protect with my life--about to die right in front of me. He was just standing a couple meters away, with a gun aimed at him.

"Any last words?"

This is it... the one who annoyed me 24/7 is about to die.

The one who somehow made me laugh and have fun again.

The one who still believed in me, even when things got tough.

"Yeah, go die and rot in hell," Kayden spat at the man with the gun.

The one who I love and can't live without.

"A treasure is something really, really important to you. You'll always protect your treasure without even thinking. In the end, you will understand that it's worth it. I hope you find your treasure one day and will love and keep it safe."

I remembered those words Dad told me when I was little and again when we went to visit him. Though, I didn't really understood what he meant back then, and it's been bugging me for awhile...

As the gun clicked in place, I threw off my captor. Somehow, I managed to jump in front of my treasure, shielding him from the bullet that just fired. "No!" he shouted as the bullet pierced my stomach. I fell back and Kayden caught me with his arms. Slowly, he slid down onto the concrete ground, with me still in his arms. Thank the lord, he's still safe...

I heard the distant sounds of sirens and a helicopter coming closer and closer...

"Damn it! Let's get out of here." The hitman and his men all retreated before the authorities could come.

"Kayden, the stars look like bright diamonds tonight," I told him as I stared up at the sky, and slowly lifted my hand up towards the illuminating stars, "I could just go up there and take one..."

"No! Stay here with me!" Kayden grasp my hand back down and begged desperately, holding back his tears that were threatening to fall.

I have to tell him... before I go...

I opened my mouth to speak, but suddenly coughed up some blood.

"You don't have to say anything. It's going to be okay, okay?" Kayden gave me a small smile. His smiles would always warm me up on the inside, but... for some reason... I feel cold... like the warm feeling of life was slipping away from my body. My cold hand was probably felt like it was freezing against his warm, gentle ones.

Still, I slowly turned my head to face Kayden and gave him a smile filled with sadness.

"K-Kayden," I managed to cough out, "before I g-go... I need to s-say... something... I lov--" My eyes started to droop and the sound of sirens fading softer, and softer. My world was fading black, and into a cold, isolated place...

No! I'm not finished!

"Reese!" Kayden called, I forced my eyes to open again.

I saw Kayden once again, his crystal tears rolling down from his sad blue eyes. His blonde hair swaying in the light breeze. The blonde hair I'd always loved to ruffled up, just to tease him. He would get annoyed and glare at me, but then break into his goofy smile.

"I-I... love you..." I whispered softly, and tried to reach my hand up to his head to ruffle his hair one last time... I managed to just pat his head, and my arm went slack. My eyes started to close, shutting out the image of Kayden.

"Clarisse!" Kayden cried out.

I'll always remember you, Kayden...

As my vision slowly faded black again... as my mind began to fade into unconsciousness... I still remembered Dad's words...

He's right... it is worth it. Kayden is safe... Now, I finally understand.