Chapter 37 | For The Cubs!

Her long white hair waved in the subtle winter breeze

The blizzard had calmed down significantly. Piles of snow covered the village, teenagers and young adults using hand-made metal shovels to clear pathways and steps.

Despite the sun glowing in the sky and the lack of clouds, it was still freezing.

Selene hid her hands in her sweater pockets. The rabbit cowl kept the rest of her relatively warm and exceptionally safe from the cold breeze. The warmest part of her body, though, was arguably her neck.

Cuddled around her neck was a giant weasel. His nose was tucked in the darkness of her cowl, though his eyes gazed out from the inside.

Yes, a little shapeshifter was wrapped around her neck.

Ullr had told Selene the curse would cause her to be unable to contact her bear for three moons. If Vor tries to turn into her bear form- she'll turn into a Caribou doe instead. For the first time in her life- Vor was now prey.

Selene, though, wanted to talk to Vor. She wanted to understand why she treated her the way she did.

Of course, Ullr wasn't stupid. He had no intention of leaving her to see Vor alone- but he knew his presence would likely make things more difficult. He came up with the cute idea of hiding in her clothes as a weasel.

Don't be fooled! Weasels are apex predators who are fierce hunters in this snowy landscape.

They raid mouse dens, hunt small birds and insects, and will even square up against rabbits. This tiny mammal was born for the hunt.

Ullr spent 10 minutes telling Selene all about weasels and how amazing of a hunter they were. It was only to prove that he wasn't shape-shifting into a tiny, fluffy, cute weasel that'll cuddle up in her cowl and nuzzle her neck. 

Totally not, right?

As she walked down a shovelled path, her legs were still tense from their... romp. He spent some time massaging her thighs, but his roughness meant only time could heal her muscles.

Up ahead, she noticed a familiar male face with a basket of fruit and vegetables.

He wore a cream tunic under his large wool cowl and cloak. A scarf covered his nose and mouth for warmth.

The Sjóða pushed the snow away to pick holly berries from a thriving bush. Despite being half buried in snow, the bush thrived with the beaming snow and damp soil buried beneath.
[Hibernation Chef.]

With a gentle smile, she approached him, "Fupó fohna raumau, Heidrun." She greeted.
[Warm morning.]

She couldn't describe how, but the phrase had slipped out naturally.

The snug weasel around her neck slightly shifted to watch the chef with a fierce gaze. Despite Selene being well aware of him, it was obvious that Heidrun had no idea he was there.