Chapter 41 | The Bell Chimes

She's been restless

She's been restless.

For two nights, Selene has been plagued with night terrors. 

Both she and her husband would writhe with their different nightmares. They were haunted in their most vulnerable states, but she found her heart pounding harder than any nightmare had elicited.

The mangled corpse of the Blood Goddess plagued her mind. Its stench would teleport her to that moment of fear- watching larvae and flies writhe in its grotesque cocoon.

Selene couldn't understand what kind of link she had to Signey. The mere mention of the name made her mind desperate for memories locked behind walls- digging at concrete for something she was not meant to remember.

Sometimes... pieces would fall from the cracks.

"Gú do?"
[Big sister?]

Flinching violently, the taller young girl closed her leather book and lowered her head. Without looking back, she spoke through gritted teeth.

"Hodi?"
[What?]

Selene fidgeted with her tan dress, "Uhm... Lá bæ ngá ngeú gáze," She told her, "he o fú́ ze ö kalí hyí." Her gentle eyes brightened optimistically, hoping that this would help her sister feel happier.
[I want to get you a wolf.] - [So you don't feel left out.]

Signey went silent, her fingers gently rubbing the leather. Her mind seemed to swirl with different thoughts, and their position did not allow Selene the ability to try and decipher them.

"Lá ngo neihve lú." She hummed before abruptly standing up.
[I would love one.]

Writhing in her sleep, her eyebrows furrowing and lips twitching into a frown, Selene unconsciously edged closer to her husband's sleeping form and wrapped her arms around his muscular torso.

Shifting, he rolled closer to her and possesively held her close. Despite being asleep, it made her feel safe.

Signey was speaking in tongues, a language she had known from childhood as the language of witches.

How could she have known that Signey was a witch?

Glancing away, she stared at a terrified nude man consoling a woman against the trunk of a tree. He was in tears, his black hair dishevelled, and his hands shakily rubbing her skin in search of any wounds.

The young woman he was desperately checking had gentle blue eyes, a chubby frame, and long... platinum-white hair.

She violently awoke from her dreams, gasping for air and desperately clinging to the massive body of her Nord husband.

Her sudden movements and pounding heart awoke him with a start.

His large arms encircled her protectively, holding her close and soothingly rubbing circles against her back. His fingers trailed up beneath her nightgown to trace his fingertips against her soft skin.