{8} Heart Implant

(Y/n)'s POV

I happily smiled as I skipped to the park, I was really happy that Tooru decided to hang out with me. Not too far away I spotted a huge crowd of girls surrounding the brown-haired male. He likes the attention, doesn't he? Tooru spotted me through the crowd of girls that surrounded him; he immediately weaseled his way through the crowd of girls.

"Hey Tooru, I'm sorry if I'm a few minutes late. I had to help a student with their math homework," I said, bowing my head down apologetically.

"You don't need to bow your head down, I'm glad you came," Tooru sent me a grin. "All that matters is you came, isn't that right?"

"So, you want to go for some ice cream?" I asked, completely ignorant of the whispering and hushed voices of the girls around us.

"That would be great. I'll be paying and there's nothing you could do about it." He's just like Shoto, but less blunt. The resemblance in their actions is slightly uncanny.

"No way, at least let me pay half!" I complained. "It's not fair."

Once we arrived in the ice cream stand, I tried to slip in some money before Tooru did, but he was faster than me. I let out a grumble of disappointment, I'll pay you back, just you wait Tooru. I ended up ordering the cheapest scoop of ice cream, vanilla ice cream.

Tooru and I continued to walk through the park, none of us spoke up. When I had looked around, we were all alone. "So, (Y/n), how did you immediately notice that I was putting up a facade?" The setter finally broke the silence; for once, his voice was nothing but serious.

"I don't really know how to put it into words, but the moment you smiled, I knew it was fake. You were smiling, yes, but your smile didn't quite reach your eyes. I hate it when people pretend to be something they're not. Lying to others is bad, but lying to yourself is even worse," I explained.

"Haven't you heard of the quote fake it 'til you make it?"

"Yes, and I despise it with my very being. When you pretend, you're slowly killing yourself. Every single day, you lose a part of yourself because...well....you aren't being who you truly are. And what happens if you never make it? It's not that I'm doubting you, Tooru, you really are an amazing person, but if you don't make it, you'll earn nothing in return. You're sacrificing a part of yourself for something that isn't guaranteed. That's why I want to help you, I don't want you to lose...you," I gave Tooru a comforting smile, using my quirk just to make sure he felt safe with me around and that I didn't mean any harm.

The bruenette clenched his hands, "Why? Why do you want to help someone you barely know? We didn't even meet intentionally. I only know you because I dropped my wallet that day."

"Because that's what I do. I'm going to save everyone, whether it be from physical harm or themselves. It's just who I am," I placed a hand on Tooru's shoulder. "And that day...I'm glad you dropped your wallet. If you didn't, I never would have met you."

"You do realize that I'm a douche who plays with girls' hearts and take them for granted, right?"

"Yes, I do."

"How could you not hate me?"

"Because I've known others who've done things far worse than you, and they changed for the better. Everyone is a good person at heart." Is she naive? Tooru thought to himself.

"Far worse things than what I've done?" Tooru looked at me in disbelief.

"Yep," I nodded my head in confirmation.

"What have they done?"

"Now that...that's confidential, but I can say they've done things they regret." I chuckled awkwardly.