Qibli

Qibli stared at the note again. It's been three days since he received it, and he knew that Winter was sharpening his spear as Qibli stared. Qibli turned his head to sleeping Moon, she looked so peaceful. Every time she let out a breath, Qibli let out a sigh of relief. Ever since he got the note from Winter, he kept having nightmares that Moon died. So, he would wake up sweating and anxious. But then, he would turn to see Moon sleeping soundly next to him. 

Qibli sighed and got up, making sure to not wake Moon up. He tipped-toed over to the entrance of the cave then looked back. Moon stirred a bit then went back to sleep. Qibli left the note in a drawer then went to go talk to Gobi. The hallways were especially quiet at the time of night. And that made Qibli both anxious and calm. Ever since his first year at Jade Mountain, things have quieted down a bit. There were no spells or prophecies or really amazing NightWings like Moon to distract me in class. As he walked over to Gobi's room, a memory that he wanted to forget flashed in his mind. 

"Good job, Gobi," Qibli said in a baby voice. The tiny dragonet who was playing with her presents looked up and frowned. 

"Daaadddddyyyy," Gobi whined. "I'm not a baby anymore!" Gobi stomped her foot and furrowed her eyes. Qibli chuckled and stood up. 

"Aw, my baby" Qibli chuckled, teasing little Gobi. Even though Gobi knew that Qibli was teasing, Gobi frowned and looked up at Qibli frustratingly. Qibli gazed into her ice-blue eyes. Just like her mother, Qibli thought happily. Nile was a SandWing-IceWing hybrid and Gobi inherited Nile's eyes and her sense of humor. Gobi sighed, knowing that she'll never win this fight. 

"Daddy where's Momma?" Gobi wondered. Qibli looked at Gobi and grinned. 

"She's going to be here very soon," Qibli beamed. Gobi smiled then started to play with her scavenger toy that Qibli gave him. Qibli watched Gobi but thought about Nile. Her warm smile and her gorgeous blue eyes made Qibli want to wrap his wings around her. I can't wait to see her, Qibli thought beaming. Ever since Nile went on her trip to see her family, Qibli was dying to see her again. 

Suddenly there was a knock on his sleeping cave's bolder. Qibli turned his head in the direction of the noise. Gobi ignored the noise and continued to play with her toy. Qibli walked over to the bolder and pushed it to the side. In front of him was an IceWing with a scowl and tears in her eyes. Qibli frowned at her and furrowed his eye ridges. January, Nile's mom. My Mother-in-law. And who is NOT a big fan of mine, she will defiantly not join the Qibli fan club. 

"January, what are you doing here?" Qibli growled. January hissed then turned her snout in Gobi's direction. When she saw her eyes, she burst into tears. Qibli was taken back, he has never seen an IceWing cry. So...this was VERY startling. 

January looked at Qibli through her puffy eyes and sobbed, "M-my d-daughter is d-dead." Qibli's heart stopped. Nile...was...gone...

No. 

No. 

No. No. No...No.

Qibli shook his head rapidly, stop thinking about it, he thought. Qibli sighed and turned down the hallway. He reached Gobi's sleeping cave and knocked on it. There was some shuffling then the bolder was pushed open. Standing in front of Qibli was Gobi, her pale SandWing scales radiated heat and her icey blue eyes stared at Qibli tiredly. 

"Dad?" Gobi whispered. "What are you doing here this late at night?" Gobi wondered. Qibli cleared his throat and walked in her room. "Sure, feel free to walk into my room," Gobi muttered. 

"I should be allowed to walk into your room whenever I want. I'm you're father after all," Qibli grinned. Gobi rolled her eyes playfully. She walked over to her bed and sat down and patted the spot next to her. Qibli walked over to Gobi and sat down. 

"So...what are you doing here?" Gobi asked. 

"Uh...do remember your fourth birthday?" Qibli questioned. Gobi nodded. 

"Yeah, it wasn't that long ago," Gobi replied. 

"So you remember what I said when you came to my sleeping cave crying?" Qibi wondered. Gobi blushed but nodded. 

"Yeah." 

"I want you to know that I love you. I love you so much. And I will do anything to protect you, you know that?" Qibli said, grabbing Gobi's talon.

Gobi looked up and stared into Qibli's eyes worriedly. "Dad? What's going on? Why are you sounding so serious?" Gobi asked fearfully. Qibli smiled weakly and pulled Gobi into a hug. "Daddy, you're scaring me," she whispered. 

"Everything is going to okay, honey," Qibli whispered. Gobi nodded then wrapped her wings around Qibli. "Everything is going to be okay..."