6 | m e h n d i

A/N: It's been years since I've been to a wedding. Correct me if I'm wrong anywhere.

• n o o r •

Tonight was my Mehndi and tomorrow, I will officially be Noor Usama Humayun Shah. The Mehndi ceremony was arranged in our lounge which was big enough to accommodate all the guests. It was a small ceremony only attended by some of my friends, female cousins and few neighbours. All the men of the house were 'politely' asked to enjoy upstairs to give the girls the freedom.

I was dressed in a yellow lehnga and a matching embroidered peplum blouse. I had decided to complete my look with a fancy green shawl pinned to my head that Mama had worn in her own wedding. My cousin Fatima, who was also a makeup artist, had done my makeup to perfection and set my hair in loose waves falling on both sides of my shoulder.

The Mehndi artist was applying henna on my hands and in the middle of the floor, Maheen was dancing on famous Bollywood songs. My university friends Sarah and Ayesha were accompanying her and all three of them were throwing suggestive gestures towards me, making me blush.

"Should I write the name of the groom somewhere?" The young girl applying henna asked.

"Write a U somewhere. And hide it." I grinned. She made a small U and hid it in between the small yet complicated shapes.

"Come on, Noor." Sarah came to take me. "You have to dance."

"No, no. My Mehndi will be ruined." I said.

"No, it won't. Come on." She said.

I looked at Mama and when she nodded in approval, I made my way to the middle of the lounge. Extending my hand to protect them, I moved with the rhythm of the song and earned some whistles from all around. Throwing my head back in laughter, I danced some more and enjoyed the night to the fullest. Somewhere between the dancing, Maheen and I forced Mama and Dado to come and dance as well. Now, the whole lounge was filled with desi women showing their inner Michael Jackson.

I was in the middle of my thumka when Mama reached me. She patted my head and I saw her eyes getting misty. "Meri Noor, meri jaan, May every evil eye go blind! May Allah bless you with all the happiness known to mankind!" She said.

"Aw Mama, don't be emotional." I said and felt my own eyes watering. Dado was also standing in a corner, watching us with an emotional look on her face. "I am not leaving yet, you guys." They both hugged me briefly, after which they decided to sit down and let the girls enjoy.

I was busy dancing when Maheen gripped my elbows and pulled me to a corner. "What is it?" I glared at her.

"Usama Bhai called." She said and my stomach flipped. "He wants to see you."

"But he can't." I said. Men weren't allowed here in the lounge because all the women were dancing and singing.

"He is waiting for you on the terrace." She winked and my eyes widened.

"Tell him I can't come." I said, biting my lips.

"Oh my God Aapi, just go and let the poor man see his bride." She said.

"But---"

"No but. I'll distract everyone. You go meet him." She said and pushed me out of the lounge.

Throwing a glare at her, I made my way towards the stairs, careful not to touch anything. My heartbeat became faster as I climbed the second set of stairs and reached the terrace. We have met many times today but suddenly, everything was different. I had his Mehndi on my hands and now, we were one step closer to become one.