Chapter 7

"Didn't you say you were scared of becoming an attendant?" Orion said worriedly. "Why are you going through with all this training when you're training to be something you don't want? And the bodyguard training too— you hate fighting! But they're making you go through all that like you're some unemotional soldier!"

Altair had laughed, though his tone was not as bright as usual. Instead, he paused contemplatively, before tentatively opening his mouth.

"Well, although I don't really have a choice to begin with, it's a great honor. All the Black Dogs have to do through this training and become the best servants. And you're right— I was scared to become an attendant, but then I decided that it would do me no good to have a mindset like that." Altair smiled, that bright grin of his, and Orion found himself staring at him in awe.

"After all, It's only because I was judging the young master off of rumors. That's no good, right? To judge a man before I hadn't even met him... That's what people have been doing to me all this time... and that makes me no different than them. So I decided that I should do my best now, and leave all my worries for later. Besides, I'm sure he's a good guy, just like our lord and lady."

"Wow," Orion couldn't help but mumble, "Altair... you so kind."

At that, Altair burst out laughing, his eyes glittering. "Don't say that— it makes me embarrassed. Besides, it's just the right thing to do, don't you think?"

***

"Father, I got my exam back from the Instructor yesterday," Scorpius said at the dinner table. "He told me I only got five questions wrong."

The Duke motioned for a butler, and Altair's father quickly stepped forward. "Could you open the new set of tea leaves we received last week? I'd like to try some today."

Raiul bowed and left the room, and the maids rearranged the plates, setting down a tea set in place of the food.

"Father?"

"I am aware, Val," the Duke said absently as the tea was poured into his cup. He took a sip, and thanked Raiul.

He sipped his tea some more. "It seems as though the extra tutorship that I had arranged for you is not producing enough results. Either you will need to step up your work ethics, or I will have to adjust your studies further accordingly. After all, if you aren't exceeding now, what will become of you as you get older, when your studies will become more difficult? Do not be satisfied with subpar results."

Scorpius's lips pressed together.

"Furthermore, I heard you got into a fight with a count's son the other day," Duke Linhearth said, glaring slightly, "We are the pillars of strength in this kingdom, Val— one of the greatest of noble families. Getting into needless trouble like that would only bring dishonor to our names. Waving fists and making a commotion... what you've shown me is the opposite of how you should have acted. Do you understand?"

"I— Yes, Father."

***

"Father, I've been practicing my swordsmanship. I'd like to think I've improved a lot. Would you like to see? It won't take long, I promise."

"That's good to hear. You must become a good pillar of support for His Highness when he succeeds the throne. You should train diligently."

The boy pinched his face, opening and closing his mouth at a loss to what to say. "I—"

"You need to become a great knight. It will bring our family great honor. Furthermore, as the head of the family, you'll need to learn how to inherit the responsibilities of defending the kingdom's borders. That is something you cannot be lacking in— the entirety of the kingdom depends on it."