twenty seven

✺✺✺
Twenty Seven: Staying in?
✺✺✺

✺✺✺Twenty Seven: Staying in?✺✺✺

✺✺✺

Liv's mother had called her 'just to check in' for the fifth time by late afternoon the first day Liv was back on her own following the accident. She had been in recovery long enough and had been cleared by her doctors to return home as long as she was careful. That was not good enough for her mother, of course, who insisted staying with her until she was fully back on her feet. Now, for the first time in weeks, Liv found herself completely alone in her quiet home. That was, before the fifth phone call came in, and then her quiet halls were quickly filled with the sing-songy voice of her mother.

"I would tell you to stop calling so much, but honestly, I am so bored I'm just gonna keep answering the phone."

Liv could picture her mother shaking her head in her mind. "Oh hush, I just wanted to make sure you're still okay. Last time we talked-"

"Thirty minutes ago."

"-you said you were going to do the dishes and the doctor had told you to try to avoid strenuous activities."

She laughed in response. "Mom, I don't think he was talking about lifting silverware."

It was more than just her health her mother was checking up on. She had been nervous leaving Liv alone and out of work. Liv had always been devoted to her job, no matter the consequences. And now that she had left the BAU, even Liv was unsure of what she was going to do now.

Being at home used to be what she avoided; now it was the only constant.

The doorbell rang before her mother could answer, and Liv quirked her brow in question. She didn't remember making plans to have anyone over.

"Hang on, ma, someone's at my front door."

"Is it Aaron?"

Liv suppressed the roll of her eyes only because the thought of it being true made her steps towards the door a little more giddy. "Mom, come on. He's my boss." She said for the millionth time.

Hotch had been stopping by in between cases ever since she got home from the hospital. They were small, comforting kind of visits, ones that never lasted longer than she had the energy for and demanded nothing but her presence. He would bring coffee, book recommendations, and there was a 'Get well soon' card in chicken-scrawl taped to Liv's fridge that Hotch had brought from Jack. Her mother had plenty to say about that one too.

"Well not anymore, he isn't." Her mother responded in a knowing tone. She was insistent on mentioning every excuse Hotch used to stop by. Liv had been trying not to think about it too much, but she couldn't help it. She noticed it too.

"I will call you back." Liv exasperated, hanging up the phone before peeping through her window to see who it was. She had a rushing sense of relief and excitement when she realized her mother's melodramatic guess had been right.