XVI

December 27th | Four days until NYE

As I shut the door on Benji's front door, breathing in the brisk summer air, I gripped my handbag tightly. I'd only just dumped my duffel where I'd been sleeping before Christmas but there was somewhere I had to go. Benji and Leah were getting things ready for our marathon of festive films until New Years – I chose The Grinch for tonight – but before I could relax and smile with my oldest friends, I had to visit my newest ones.

Clutching my bag tightly, I walked down the winding road down to Whale Beach once again. For once, I wasn't walking with angst, fear, or dread. I was calm, like the sea at high noon, and wasn't as afraid of being caught as I was before. I had some of my feelings lift from my shoulders since catching up and clearing the air with Carrie yesterday, and I hoped that this was the first sign of many that my life was going to start making a turn for the better.

The last six months since my fight with Carrie, discovering Henry, and all the fall out that came from those two pinnacle moments, had been hard. I was barely eighteen, only just finished my exams, and I was already thinking about retirement. I had so much more to do, to experience in my life, and while I knew there would be more downsides, like fights and fall outs, there would also be moments of levity, like becoming friends with Henry, and having Benji and Leah at my back.

As I made my way down the road, the Christmas lights turning on one by one with each home I passed, with every moment the sun set over the sea, I could feel the little box of secrets in my soul tremble, but I wasn't as scared of it falling apart anymore.

I'd already fallen apart before, on my birthday, and months later I was still whole. I'd be okay if I fell apart again. I'd dealt with fall out, with repercussions, with losing friends. I knew I could do it again if I had to.

Coming to the round-a-bout I practically memorised, I walked past locals embracing the last of the holiday sun before the New Year came around. I avoided them all. I made my way towards the Whale Beach ocean pool, working my way over the natural trenches and passed the cliff's edge, to the shallow of my Siren Bay.

Sitting on the rocks lining the alcove, my toes curling into the sand, I waited until the daylight faded. Until I could count more stars in the sky than ringlets over my shoulders. The sounds of humanity drifted as the tide crept closer, the water brushing my toes when only diamonds shone in the sky and waves rustled in my ears.

It was peaceful, hiding by the sea. I could understand why people journeyed for weeks, even months, on the ocean with nothing but the stars for company. The serenity, that peace, it was so impossible to find on land and so easy to embrace on the water.

I immediately put a hand on my bag when I heard splashes. I stared down the alcove, the gateway between land and sea, and waited for Henry to peek through, but no one was there yet. I relaxed, but my grip stayed on my bag, in case. It was still early for the mermaids to show up, there was still the faint line of violet brushed against the horizon.

I leaned back against the rocks, ignoring how some spikes dug into my spine. I checked the time, knowing that even though it was barely 9pm, I needed to be back at Benji's in an hour, or they'd worry. Leah would probably come and get me like she did last time.

But I wasn't waiting long. I was barely beginning to daydream about my embarrassing moments in Year 8 when I heard the splashes of something heavier than crashing waves.

"Henry?" I called out, leaning forward before seeing his face under the archway. His dark hair was plastered all over his forehead, but his eyes were bright when they rested on me. He smiled, and without realising, I was smiling too.