Chapter- 18

Evan's POV

A few minutes after Kate left, I walked into Brae's cabin. Entering, I saw her sitting on the desk with her head in her hands. She was gripping her hair in her hand.

"Ms. Taylor." On seeing me she straightened up but there was a slackness in her movement as if she was exhausted.

"Here are some files. I want these to be done within two days. And on Sunday, you're coming with me for lunch."

"Is it a lunch meeting?" She asked.

"No. Only you're coming." I said.

"I need to work on these files on the weekend to complete it by Monday. I won't be able to come." I rolled my eyes. Of course she was coming. I wanted to talk to her .

"So, You're going to manage your schedule and come." I ordered in a bossy tone.

"I can't." She gritted through her teeth.

"Are you disobeying me Ms. Taylor? Have you forgotten that I am your boss?" I folded my hands across my chest and this seemed to snap her patience.

"No I haven't. I know you are my boss and I am still saying I won't be able to come." I raised my eyebrows at her. She continued with her speech.

"What will you do? Fire me because I am trying to complete my work instead of going on a lunch with my boss? Do it. Make sure that I don't get a job anywhere else on this damn planet ? Do it. Do whatever you bloody can!" My eyebrows creased at her sudden outburst. This was the second time in a day that her anger seemed to go out of her control.

"Brae?" I called but she was nowhere near coming to her senses.

"Whoever you look at is giving threats. That's what you are good at! Giving threats. Do it. Do everything you can to make my existence difficult! " This time I was seriously worried. Angry tears were rolling down her cheeks. Her face looked like she was about to break at any moment.

"Okay, just calm down." I tried taking a step closer to her while she moved two steps back.

"Don't. Don't show me like you care. No damn one cares. What did you think ? You're going to threaten me about my job and I-I am going to b-beg you? I won't. I bloody won't! I-" She cut herself off, her breath coming out in pants, her hands shivering. Why was she so agitated? I quickly held her arms and brought her closer.

"No." She tried taking out her arm from my hold.

"Brae, come here." Putting my hand at the back of her head I pulled her in for a hug.

"I won't." She put her head on my shoulder.

"Ssh. Calm down. You don't have to do anything. Just calm down." Her shaky hands clutched my shirt for support. I repeatedly stroked her hair to soothe her down. After some minutes I supported her to the chair and made her sit.

"Here, take it." I brought a glass of water to her lips. When she was finally a bit calmer, I decided to speak.

"Do you want to talk about anything? What made you so excited? " I kept my voice as soft as possible. She immediately shook her head.

"No, nothing. I'm fine." She was anything but fine a minute ago and the question of what was the reason behind it was plaguing my mind. I have been harsher towards her previously but she hadn't even whined. So this reaction of her's was not normal. Nevertheless I kept my curiosity aside for the time being.

"Well I think you should go home today."

"Even on the last day, I went home early. I can't go home early everyday in front of everyone." She nervously fiddled with her fingers.