chapter three.

The Clearwater's and the Swan's have been entwined together for three generations

Your grandfather, Geoffrey Swan, had become quick friends with Peter Clearwater after a meeting in the forest. Both boys were young one lost and one arrogant, tears streaming down Geoffrey's face as he fought his way back home.

Peter had stumbled across the mess of a boy and led him back with a scowl straining his face. The Swan boy merely sneered back. By the end, they grinned at each other, cruel quips leaving their lips.

According to Charlie, they were a force to be reckoned with.

You had never met your grandparents, both passed away right before you were born, and both were long gone before Bella came to life.

However, you had crossed Peter Clearwater's path only once.

He was sat in the Clearwater home, his son and daughter-in-law sitting next to him. You remember the easy grin he had given you as you hid behind Charlie's legs.

"You be good friends with my grandkids, alright?" He said to you, a serious look in his eyes. Your eyes had widened before you nodded furiously. Five-year-old you peeked around your father's long legs and looked at Sue Clearwater's pregnant belly with clear determination.

Charlie placed a fond hand on your head when Peter burst out with laughter, his grin stretching to his ears. His eyes sparkled as he leaned back, coughing riddled through his laugh. "Just like him."

You didn't know what he meant at the time, but you kept your promise steadily, constantly attempting to befriend a loud, bossy five-year-old Leah Clearwater as she dragged you around.

He died the next week.

Charlie had started coming over more often, stealing Harry to go out on fishing trips, and leaving you to Sue Clearwater's care. Reneé was too busy taking care of a three-almost- four-year-old Bella to handle herself, least of all you.

Sue was very different from Reneé, warm hands and warmer smiles, smelling like cookies and other baked goods that she had made that evening. Reneé was freezing hands- from staying outside too often in the cold- and the overwhelming smell of oil paints following her.

It's not like you didn't love Reneé or liked Sue better. They were just polar opposites and you easily found different comforts in both of them.

Finally, after a few months of visiting, Seth was born and you grinned down at the infant. Leah had tugged your arm and gave you a pained look. "You can't be friends with him. He's my brother." She said, a pout raising on her face. You frowned.

"But I'm your friend?" You said, your little voice filled with uncertainty. Leah sighed, arm tugging Seth's blanket up to his chin.

"Of course," she mumbled, "but, you can't be his! You're my friend." Leah argued.