25 Lover

Battered and wrecked, I come to you, you first.

Homer

Him

"What do you want to be when you grow up?"

"A soldier."

"But soldiers die in wars."

"But they're brave. They defend their land and people."

She uneasily twists her fingers, unsatisfied at the answer the boy who she always tails around has given her, before turning to the next one. "And you, prince, you will be the king?"

"Yes, that's what I will be."

"I'll be the queen," she declares, as if to make a point clear.

The prince blinks uncertainly. "How?"

"When Joojoo becomes a king, he'll make me a queen."

"But he cannot become a king," he argues.

She turns to look at him, an almost sorrowful hue in her orbs, before she puffs her cheeks. "Well, I'll ask baba that I want to be a queen, and then I'll make him a king."

The other boy who wants to be a soldier frowns at her. "Why?"

She grins at him. "Because Joojoo is my best friend, just like you."

Her

Her

The game of life is merciless. The twists of fate have been tragically brutal. When tables turn, when curtains fall, when masks are removed and faces are revealed, then every puzzle piece fitting into each other only uncovers another beast, and every beast so far has only tried to shred her heart.

Who does she trust in this palace? She cannot even trust her own shadow. She doesn't understand who is the puppet and who its master, and if a wrong string is pulled, a knife might stab her in the back before she can save herself.

One life. One wrong move is enough to end it. She has been gambling and risking it too much. She must take the reins in her hands before the beasts are unleashed-- she must learn to ride them than be devoured in the process.

But if she's pushed to her knees, she will drag her villain down and below her. Noura feels hell lit in her ribcage.

"How did you get this scar?" she asks Adam, her eyes unwavering from his own. "Tell me, and be truthful."

"Don't you think I've too many to remember the backstory of each?"

"This one seems to have a significant backstory, nah?" she mocks. "Because the consequences of your actions stand right in front of you."