Chapter 20-Part 1

ELENORA

The day has gone by fast. Almost too fast. The events from last night preoccupied my thoughts most of the day.

From the dinner, the inappropriate sexual public encounters, both of them, to the near death experience on the way home, to what seemed like a bonding moment afterward with Rico. I remind myself not to confuse the sexual awakening and emotions, for more than what it is. I don't even like him...most of the time. Not to mention the disturbing revelation that he's some kind of vigilante psycho.

I mindlessly peruse through a few dresses that I consider wearing tonight when my phone alerts me to a text.

Rico: I'm respecting your wishes. I'm solely letting you know I'm sending a car to pick you up.

Me: Thank you for the consideration but I'll find my own way there.

Rico: When will you stop being so fucking difficult, Elenora? You know it's dangerous to be out alone. People want you dead.

Me: If I die, I die. Everyone dies.

Rico: How prophetic of you. I'm still sending a car for you.

Me: Do what you want. Just don't act like I didn't tell you I'm finding my own way. Now, if you don't mind, I need to get ready.

Rico: Fine. Just don't get yourself killed in the process.

Me: One can only hope.

I pick out the dress, it's longer than the ones I've worn recently. A spaghetti strap ruffle dress; the bottom half is sheer but the inner lining keeps it from being see-through.

After I finish my hair and makeup, I put on some simple jewelry and then apply a nude lipstick to finish off my look before I call for a Lyft and make my way down to the lobby.

"Elenora, you look stunning, dear." Mrs. Jones smiles back at me when the doors open.

"Thank you, Mrs. Jones." I step out as she walks in.

"And where is your prince charming?"

Probably murdering someone as we speak.

"Oh, he's meeting me for his cousin's birthday party."

She tsks her tongue. "He should know better than letting you wander the streets at night."

"I'm taking a Lyft."

"That's even worse! Don't you watch the news? Women get in those and end up in some abandoned building violated or worse, dead!" Her eyes grow wide and she begins to apologize and walks back out of the elevator to hug me.

I shake my head at her. "You're fine, Mrs. Jones, but I'm prepared, see?" I show her my knife and pepper-spray.

"Well, let's hope you don't ever have to use those, dear." She pats my face and walks back into the elevator. "Say hello to that gorgeous hunk of yours."

"You look beautiful, Miss Nora, be safe out there!" George calls out from the front desk.

"Thanks George, I will." I step out of the building and I get into the waiting Lyft and give her the location of the event hall near Time Square.

On the way there I respond to a few texts from my sisters and one from my mom, guilt tripping me by saying I'm avoiding her and that she needs to see me so she remembers what my face looks like and she invites Rico and me to dinner tomorrow.