Chapter 1

Notice: This chapter contains descriptions of blood and death.

---

March 22, 33 AE

Rays of light began their steady ascent into the sky, grasping onto the horizon to lift themselves higher. Slowly and steadily, the morning chill drifted away, replaced by the subtle warmth of the sun. As a breeze passed, a wave glided over the sand with a gentle rush before falling back to the sea, humming softly.

The ocean was calling him.

Mack took one step onto the beach, then another, letting the cool sand seep between and over his toes. And then, unable to wait any longer, he ran.

"Aue!" a woman scolded.

Suddenly, a hand wrapped around one of Mack's arms, bringing his takeoff to a standstill. While Mack initially wanted to shake the hold off, he knew he couldn't. Not only was the grip strong and firm, but it was also warm and gentle, and he didn't want them to let go.

"But Ma!" he whined, turning with the biggest eyes he could muster already on display.

Of course, his protest had little effect on the petite woman before him. Instead, her firm gaze seemed to grow sterner, and her dainty hand held him even tighter. Despite that, a corner of her dark lips raised ever so slightly.

"A'ole, Mackenzie," his mother said. "It's too cold."

"Ma, I'll be fine," Mack insisted, then gestured to his body with his free hand. "What you think all this muscle's for? Insulation!"

"Aiya..." His mother sighed heavily, obviously trying to hide her chuckle, before turning back to him with renewed resolve. "Oh, really? So you promise you not gon' go out there, then try run back in when you see how cold it is? Hah! I hope you're not always this lolo."

Mack couldn't help but grin at his mom's nagging. "Only when I'm with you, Ma."

And that, finally, got an unrestrained laugh from his mom.

"Alright, alright," she relented, letting go of Mack's arm. "Go on."

As soon as his mom's hand left his skin, the early morning chill whisked away the remnants of warmth left behind. A part of Mack longed to take it back; another part urged him to move on.

So with one last grin, he turned back to the water and took off once more, leaping just before his toes reached the ocean's edge and landing in the clear, blue sea a moment later.

Instantly, the cold enveloped him like a snowstorm, biting every inch of his skin. When he kicked back up to the water's surface and took a huge gulp of air, his lungs felt tight within his chest. But he refused to regret his decision, and with stubborn determination, he forced himself to move his body, dragging his numb limbs through the icy water.

After a while, the sharp chill smoothed, and the water became refreshingly cool amidst the growing heat in the air. And with the new equilibrium reached, Mack let himself rest, his body floating at the surface of the water while his eyes gazed at the transforming sky above him.

When the water started to get warmer, Mack didn't think anything of it. When the sea began to feel viscous, he thought his limbs were just getting tired. But when the wind suddenly carried a wisp of iron, he froze, then bolted upright.

At that moment, all he could see was red.

Where the ocean was once clear and blue, it was now opaque and scarlet. His body felt like he was wading through gravy, and the scent of metal burned his nose. Even when he extended his gaze to the horizon, the rays of the rising sun only cast their light on a sea of blood.