four.

четыре. (chetyre) — four.

"You know, it was only three days ago you were death-staring at me," remarked Barnes

"Oh, we're over that," she said.  "Come on, I even bought a tiny notebook like yours."  She took the small composition notebook out of her coat pocket and put it on the table.

"Alright, alright," said Barnes.  "First step is to make a list.  All the people you hurt, maybe even bad people you helped.  Things that need to be undone. And at the top, probably someone you hurt the most."

"The person I hurt the most is dead."

"Did they have family?"

Mace thought about it. "He had a wife," she said. "Uh... last name was Carson, I think."

Barnes opened the notebook to the first page and handed Mace a pencil.

"Go ahead," he said, nodding to it. Mace picked up the pencil and wrote.

Carson

She underlined it for emphasis.

"Any more?" he asked.

"Most of the people I really hurt were HYDRA agents," she said. "People who had made you. People who I still think deserved it."

"Then they don't have to be on the list. What about people you helped, who had bad motives? There was this senator once— as the Winter Soldier I had helped her get the position, and she's been a HYDRA pawn for years... I had to get her out."

"You killed her?"

"Oh, no," said Barnes, going wide-eyed for a second. "Exposed. Wired her car to a mic and recorded her, then called the police."

Mace nodded, looking at the wall and thinking.

She didn't want to think about these things. Before, she would only live in the now. She would never think about the future or the past. But now that she was really thinking about it... so much came to her. Too much.

Mace sighed and put her head in her hand, elbow on the table.

"You okay?" James asked.

"Yeah," she said quietly. "It's just a lot. Remembering it all."

"I know."

"I don't know why I'm complaining," said Mace. "I mean, you're, what, ninety-something?"

"A hundred and five, actually. Hundred and six in two months."