The Johnson-Jeffries Riots

The Johnson–Jeffries riotsrefer to the dozens of race riots that occurred throughout the UnitedStates after African-American boxer Jack Johnson defeated white boxerJames J. Jeffries in a boxing match termed the "Fight of theCentury". Johnson became the first black World Heavyweightchampion in 1908 which made him unpopular with the predominatelywhite audience of boxing. Jeffries, a former heavyweight championcame out of retirement to fight Johnson and was nicknamed the "GreatWhite Hope". After Johnson defeated Jeffries on July 4,1910, many whites felt humiliated and began attacking blacks who werecelebrating Johnson's victory.

Background

Jack Johnson had attempted to becomeheavyweight champion in boxing for several years, but had troubledoing so as the sport was heavily segregated at the beginning of the20th century. He eventually did become world heavyweight championafter defeating Canadian boxer Tommy Burns in Sydney, Australia onDecember 26, 1908. Johnson being heavyweight champion angered manywhites, who felt his victory was undermining the ideology of whitesupremacy. Johnson's personal life also angered many whites, as hewas notoriously flamboyant and married a white woman. Johnson wasconsidered to be the most hated man in America.

Following Johnson's defeat of Burns,American novelist Jack London wrote a column calling upon JimJeffries to come out of retirement and face Johnson, so theheavyweight title could be reclaimed by a white man. Jeffries was outof shape at the time and initially refused to fight Johnson butagreed to do so once boxing promoter Tex Rickard offered Jeffries anunprecedented payout of $120,000 if he defeated Johnson. Jeffriesaccepted and became known as the "Great White Hope".

The fight

The fight occurred on July 4, 1910 inReno, Nevada. Over 22,000 spectators watched the fight at the arenaand tens of thousands packed in congregation halls across the nationto receive live telegraphs reporting on the fight. Johnson quicklybegan to dominate the fight and eventually defeated Jeffries with aknockout in the 15th round.

The riots

Historical background

Massacres and riots

Opelousas massacre Rock Springsmassacre Thibodaux massacre Spring Valley Race Riot of 1895 Phoenixelection riot Wilmington insurrection of 1898 Pana riot RobertCharles riots Evansville race riot Atlanta Massacre of 1906Springfield race riot of 1908 Johnson–Jeffries riots 1912 racialconflict in Forsyth County 1917 Chester race riot East St. Louisriots Elaine massacre Red Summer Chicago race riot of 1919 Washingtonrace riot of 1919 Ocoee massacre Tulsa race massacre Perry race riotRosewood massacre

Reactions

The fight came during a period ofheightened racism in the United States. Lynchings ofAfrican-Americans were common in 1910, with 67 lynchings ofAfrican-Americans occurring that year. Many whites were dismayed bythe result of the fight and were angered by African-Americanscelebrating Johnson's victory and began attacking them. Within 2days, 10 people had been killed in six different states.