29

*Piper*

A week later, the boys, Lyla and I were sitting on the couch watching a movie. It was already quite late and I was super tired.

"Will Peyton come over tomorrow?" asked Adam. I turned my head towards him.

"How so?"

"Just. No reason." He averted his gaze and looked back at the television. I smiled at him and focused on the movie again. Suddenly Luca's phone rang.

"it's the hospital!" he shouted loudly. Everyone perched on the edge of the couch and watched Luca pacing the room. Luca answered the phone enthusiastically.

"Is he awake?!" he shouted. I immediately became a lot happier and gave Lyla a hug.

"What?" Luca said, shocked. I let go of Lyla and walked over to Luca. I stood on tiptoe and tried to listen in on the conversation.

"Okay, yes we are coming." said Luca. He hung up and looked at us. "Someone has been to Jason's." My eyes widened and my mouth dropped open.

"What? Who? Is he okay?" I asked.

"They didn't want to say that, but they want us to come over now." I stood in shock. "Piper, are you coming." Luca said quietly. I nodded and followed the rest to the car. I sat in the very back with Lyla and I took her hand. She squeezed it gently. This was going to be a long night.

Not much later we arrived at the hospital. We ran in and were put in the waiting room.

"Why can't we go to him." I cried panicked. Luca pulled me onto a couch.

"Calm down, Piper. You won't solve anything with this stress." he said quietly. I sat on the edge of the couch and my leg began to tremble quickly.

"Piper." Luca sighed. He put his hand on my leg to stop the shaking. Strangely enough, this calmed me down. The calm feeling lasted only for a moment, as the waiting room door opened and Jason's doctor stood in the doorway.

"Good evening everyone." He began. "Can you follow me for a moment?" We quickly got up and followed the doctor to a small room. "Take a seat." he said, pointing to the chairs in front of the desk.

"We've called you in to brief you on Jason's current situation. He's not doing well." The doctor told calmly.

"But... You said last week..." I stuttered.

"He was indeed not in mortal danger and I expected that he would almost wake up again, but something went wrong."

"What!" I cried.

"Piper, let the poor man finish." said Jasper. The doctor coughed once and continued.

"A few hours ago a man came by and told us he was Jason's father. He had identified himself and said he had been on vacation and came right back when he heard the news. As you may already know, let's only family with the patient and that was him. If we had known in advance what he was going to do, we would of course have stopped." I looked at the doctor questioningly, but decided not to interrupt him again.

"The man has been on a number of tubes and injected some kind of poison into them. Our doctors are now doing everything they can to save his life." My eyes filled up and my lower lip started to tremble. Luca saw it coming and wrapped his arms around me. Everyone was silent and shocked. Minutes ticked away with no one saying anything.

"Assistance, assistance!" Sounded from the doctor's walkie-talkie. The doctor quickly got up and sprinted out of the room.

"Would he go to Jason?" I asked Luca softly.

"I don't know, Piper." We stayed in the room all night, hoping for good news from the doctor. I yawned and had to blink often to stay awake.

"Go to sleep." Luca whispered in my ear. I wanted to protest, but I really couldn't. Before I knew it, I closed my eyes and fell into a long dreamless sleep.

The next morning I woke up in the same room. the rest were still asleep around me. Everyone was still asleep except Luca. He sat in the other corner of the room, staring at the wall with bloodshot eyes. On my knees I crawled over to Luca.

"Are you okay? Is there any news?" I asked him. He shook his head. I didn't know which of my two questions he answered.

"They asked me last night to look at the surveillance footage." he whispered softly. I looked at him and held his hand.

"Why?"

"I had to see if it was really your father administering the poison."

"And was it my father?" He nodded.

"That bastard tried to kill his own son." he mocked. "The hospital has charged him with the police, but we both know those people are not doing anything about it." I didn't know what to say for a moment, but Luca broke the silence.

"It's all my fault. He whispered to himself.

"It's certainly not your fault, Luca. It's my father's fault. Wait, he's not my father anymore. From now on I will call him Patrick. It's not your fault." Luca nodded sadly. He was all over it. The door to the room opened softly.

"You can now visit him. We have done what we could, but he is not completely out of danger yet." said the doctor. I got up carefully and woke up the still sleeping people. Together we walked to Jason's old room. He looked almost the same, only he was slightly paler and had more bruises. I walked to his bed and held his hand.

"Hey Jason." I whispered with tears in my eyes. "Please don't die." I felt a hand on my shoulder and saw that Adam was also having a hard time. I made some space for Lyla, who couldn't hold back her tears anymore. It broke me so bad to see her like this. I watched Lyla from my stool telling Jason about the baby.

Jason wake up please...

**

1010 words

Don't forget to vote