12 Crazy

Why do I see you on everything? As if on earth you are all the humans. As if you were a never-ending path and I was created for this trip. If I was running from you, to you. By your God, tell me, where is the escape?

Farouq Jwaydeh

Him

"Do you have a crown?"

"No."

"Then how are you a prince?"

"Umi says I'll get a crown once I grow up a little."

She nods, as if understanding the logic, and looks him up and down. "Yes, you're tiny. The crown will be big for your head. Maybe they don't make it in your size."

He kicks the dirt at his feet, feeling embarrassed, and she studies him curiously. He waves his wooden sword at her.

"I'm not tiny. I've a sword," he argues, though knowing this girl who's probably younger than him is more fierce than him and of the same height. He might be a shy and a small child but he doesn't like being called out on it.

"Don't worry, Joojoo." Noura pats his back in consolidation. "You will grow tall, like magic prince and Esh-kander. Maman says we grow tall with time. So don't be upset. You have me. I still like you." She grins at him and her eyes gleam in the sun.

"You do?" he asks her hopefully.

"Yes. So if you don't grow tall with time and remain tiny, and no girl wants to marry you, I will."

He stares at her with wide eyes. "You will?"

She nods enthusiastically. "Only if you promise to get me a crown."

Her

Her

"The bazar is lively."

"Don't get lost."

"I'm not a child."

"I remember the last time."

"What time?"

"When you ran away from me and I half died, half went crazy looking for you."

Noura scoffs under her veil as they bicker and dodge bodies with him trying to keep her close to his side.

"Wistful memories."

"Aren't they? You've always loved to torture me."

"Is that why you're making me pay back?" she fires and he puts his arm around her, pulling her to himself before she could bump into a passerby.

"Only if I was half as cruel as you."

"You're proving to be more."

"I shall change that perception."