Chapter 18

A hand gripped upon your shoulder. Firm at first, but relaxing as you were gently shaken awake. Your heart quickened in pace for a moment, your eyes focusing as you took in the room around you.

It was as you feared. It wasn't a dream of any sort still. No matter how much you wished it so, it was there, staring you in the face.

"Morning is upon us," Jaldabaoth's voice beckoned. It was oddly calm, far more gentle than you were expecting it to be. He had removed his mask, allowing his words to carry a bit better without it hindering him. "You need to get up and eat something."

There were so many snippish things you wanted to say in response to that, but at this point, you were emotionally exhausted. You refused to share whatever energy you had towards him. Eating wasn't something you wanted to do at all. If you could just lie in bed and stay there till you drew your last breath...

But no.

Demiurge's words of encouragement flooded back to you. Besides, you couldn't leave Nyala here alone to suffer whatever fate would await her.

Pushing yourself up from the bed, you sighed to yourself. "What is it you have planned?" Your eyes drifted to your side, catching the sight of Nyala still resting.

"I managed to hunt through the night to get other things that could make a far more varied breakfast."

Your fingers curled, doing your best to not let your emotions rise and get the better of you. Very little did you know of Jaldabaoth. If he so wished, he could end your life in a second's notice if that were his desire. Saying the wrong thing felt as though it could only cost you more than anything.

"I don't know if I truly wish to eat anything right now..." It was the truth. Emotions filled you more than food.

"Nonsense," said the devil, placing the mask down on the nightstand nearby. "Perhaps if you eat just one thing, it will encourage your body to open up more."

Your eyes followed the Traitor's Mask. The blue and gold mask felt as though it were screaming out to you. Every part of you wanted to grab it and throw it on the ground. To break it would be to kill him. He was tied to that object. Without it, he couldn't exist.

That you recalled perfectly well.

You sighed. "Maybe..."

Jaldabaoth's face contorted into confusion, trying to think of what to say or do to put you at ease. His hand opened for you to take. "Come."

You looked down at Nyala, resistant to her being alone.

"We won't be far away." He pointed to his own balcony that the curtains tried to conceal.

Accepting his hand, you allowed him to escort you to the balcony. Your fingers soon gripped the old marble, feeling the chill on it from the night before. Even the morning dew graced your fingertips. None of it brought you the pleasure it would have. If anything, it all felt like ash, crumbling within your grasp.

The devil relaxed on the railing, arms folded upon it as he looked down at you. "He told you what he saw fit to. Yes, I was the weaker brother. I always have been, and to be honest, I am surprised I managed to obtain the strength I have. Of my own volition, mind you. I never made deals with anybody to encourage my strength."

You pretended as though you didn't care and weren't listening. After everything he did, Jaldabaoth lost his right to your cooperation at times.

The demon's eyes narrowed. "But, just as he's told his entire kingdom—I did not steal his women. They came to me."