Chapter 25

If you like the story, please consider giving it a vote. Thanks! A.L.

Austin sat with me for the rest of dinner, making sure that I didn't need to worry about the server. Deep down, I knew I was being a little bit silly for being so jealous, but I couldn't help it; he was mine. I wasn't about to let some flirty bitch ruin my date with him. I sat there biting my lip the whole time she boxed up his food for him while he paid our bill. I was somewhat disappointed that the spaghetti didn't splatter all over her. In fact, I was hoping it would've, by some miracle, attacked her face. 

"Rylee, you ready to go? Rylee?" 

"Huh?" I blinked, ending my wonderful daydream of the server getting mauled by spaghetti and meatballs.

"What were you thinking about?" Austin offered me his hand.

"Nothing." I kept my eyes down so he wouldn't be able to tell that I was lying, but it didn't work. 

"Sure you weren't." He laughed.

"I wasn't." 

"Your evil grin gave it away." He raised an eyebrow, reaching for the door handle. "What do you want to do now?" 

"Surprise me." I smiled, taking his hand. 

"Surprise you? Okay..." 

He squeezed my hand lightly and led me back the way we entered Downtown Mall. The sidewalk area wasn't as crowded now because many of the clothing stores were starting to close. However, the tables in the middle of the walkway were filled with people eating, drinking, and enjoying the clear evening sky. About twenty minutes later, we were back at his car. He put his leftover box in the backseat on the floorboard, then opened my door for me. 

"Before I start the car, do you have to be back at any certain time?" Austin asked. 

And there it was, the question I had been avoiding since Dad left my sister and me alone a few days ago. "Uh..." I looked down at my fidgeting hands in my lap. "No, I don't have a set time. My dad isn't in town at the moment." I mumbled, turning my head toward the window. 

"Oh, okay." Austin started the car and pulled out away from the curb without another word. I thought there'd be questions as to why my sister and I were home alone, but nothing. He acted as if it was completely normal or something. 

"You don't seem surprised or anything?" I peeked over at him. 

"He's gone for the weekend, right?" 

"Yeah..." I turned my head toward the passenger window. I should've told him the truth, but I couldn't bring myself to tell him that my dad wasn't just gone for the weekend. Besides, did Austin really need to know the truth? Did anyone need to know the truth, for that matter? 

I stared out the window as the car zoomed out of town. The houses weren't beside each other, and nicely kept yards were replaced with tall grass and weeds growing along the roadside. I had no idea where Austin was taking me; honestly, I didn't really care as long as I was with him. There was something about being around him that made me feel safe and calm, like nothing could ever happen to me. I'd never felt like that around anyone before; it frightened me a little bit, and it could easily be taken away from me. "Where are we going?" I finally asked when I realized how far out of town we were still driving. 

"Don't you trust me?" Austin asked, placing his hand on top of mine. 

"Yes." I looked down at our hands resting on my leg. 

"Relax and enjoy the ride." 

Relax? Did I look tense or something? I flipped the visor down, pretending to check for something in my eye. I didn't think I looked nervous, like I was about to bolt out of the speeding car or anything. I leaned back in my seat and gazed out the windshield at the last remnants of the sun setting as the evening sky faded and night started to fall.