THIRTY NINE

Word Count: 1696

~Aspen

Kastriv is in shock. Serious shock.

So much so that I've booked us into a ancient inn in the centre of the village, because there is no way he's going to transport us out of her.

"I think we should leave soon," I tell him, looking out the window at a storm is rolling in.

Thick, dark crowds crawl through the sky, casting ominous shadows over the village. This inn is hardly clinging to life, so the sooner we get out of here the better.

"We can't leave yet. I can't leave them," Kastriv mutters.

He sits on the end of the rickety bed, head in his hands. I can't even begin to imagine what thoughts are passing through his head. His parents, who he has spent his whole life protecting, don't even remember him.

"Let's go now. Maybe they are still in the field." I motion stupidly out the window, knowing they would have been chased off by the nearing storm by now.

Kastriv's eyes are torn apart by emotion as he looks up at me. "What are we going to say? Atari has shredded apart their minds."

"We don't know that..."

The alternative is that they didn't see him properly...but he looks so distinct. Or they lost their memory in another way, but even that is far-fetched.

"We do know that. She knew she wouldn't be able to control me forever, so she took their minds so they wouldn't remember me." Kastriv sounds, starting to pace.

I chew on my nails, trying to think.

"I'll find a way to fix this."

"There is already so much to figure out. Like this spirit..." Kastriv drifts off, ruffling a hand through his hair.

I look around the room, swallowing uncomfortably. "Is she here?"

"Yes. Over there." Kastriv points to the corner of the room. To me, it's empty, but I know that the spirits lurk. I saw it for myself when I got into Kastriv's head.

"Should I try talk to her again?" I ask.

I'm not sure I want to, after what happened last time. It's eerie, talking to a mirror image of myself, especially when they were crying, in desperate need of help.

"If you want." Kastriv shrugs, clearly wanting to take his mind off his parents.

I stand up a little straighter. "If this is too much-"

"I'm fine. There is nothing I can do about my parents right now," he assures me, sitting back down on the bed.

I follow his lead, crawling onto the bed so I am facing him. I'm not sure if I'll be able to accomplish anything new with this spirit, but Kastriv isn't going to be able to rest until they stop haunting him.

"Alright. Give me your hands," I instruct.

"Be careful," Kastriv warns quietly. I entwine my fingers through his, holding onto the feeling of sparks, of the warmth he offers.

"I will," I assure him.

My eyes flutter closed. It doesn't take much to grab a hold of the magic I use to delve into Kastriv's mind. The more I use it, the easier this gets, which is kind of terrifying.

My eyes - Kastriv's eyes - open. Sure enough, the spirit that looks exactly like me is standing at the edge of the bed, clearly waiting for me to get into my mates head.

For a moment we just stare at each other.

"You need to tell me what you want," I say slowly.

There is no guarantee this spirit is going to be able to communicate. What happened last time could have been what I wanted to hear...