Seven

I hope someday you'll join us

And the world will be as one

*******

"Clover, meet me at the north entrance to the park in about 20 minutes." I got up from the rock I was sunning myself on and shook my scales. It makes this tinkling noise when we do that. I take to the air as I send an answer to Tasha.

"On my way. Did you get away again?!"

"No, silly. My handler is bringing me, and we have Leopold with us. I left my handler's shoulder, flew around Leopold, and chirped at him like you did. I then sat back down and just stared at him in confusion. He immediately told the others what happened in the park, so they asked him to come with us today. They want to see if you interact with him. I'll walk you through what to do once we get there."

I'm so excited! Not only do I get to see Tasha, but I get to see Leopold again, too.

I raced toward the entrance and flew around in circles among the Kymari. I had everyone's attention when Tasha got to the park. She looked so majestic with her harness on, sitting on the shoulder of her handler.

"Tasha, to fist." He spoke. After she jumped to his wrist, he said, "Go." She immediately flew to me, and we circled in the air, chirping and greeting each other. I back-winged, hovering as I turned to Leopold and chirped at him. Like I was greeting an old friend.

"Tasha, to fist." He stated again. She left me and went back to him. I went to the back of an empty bench and waited to see what would happen.

"So, this is the pretty green fire lizard everyone is discussing. Tasha seems to know him. He seemed to greet you, too, Leopold. Would you like to see if he will eat from your hand?" Tasha's handler said.

"Tasha, what is happening?"

Leopold held his hand, far away from his body, and something was in it.

"Clover, he has a Sunburst berry in his hand. Slowly approach and take it."

"I've never had one before. We were told to stay away from them. Is it drugged?"

"No. It's not. Clover, are you 100% sure this is what you want?"

Without hesitation, I answered.

"Yes!"

"Then take the berry."

I tilted my head and slowly opened my wings. I circled him a few times, building my courage, then took the leap of faith. I hovered over his hand and reached out for the berry with my mouth, careful not to bite him. I flew back to the bench and took it into my hands.

It smelled better than anything I had ever had. I took a small bite, and the flavor exploded in my mouth. Wow! This fruit is incredible! I devoured it. Wait, Tasha gets these all the time! I wanted another one!

I immediately flew back over to Leopold and circled him, chirping loudly.

"He wants another one. Trying speaking softly as you give him more berries." Tasha's handler said. He turned to his other friend. "Did you see how he sniffed it and then slowly took a bite? It was like he never had one before. We put planters with berries throughout the park; they are empty of ripe berries daily. Why hasn't this one ever had one? And why isn't he afraid of us?"

"Alec heard from the watchers that he wasn't at the Morning Song with the others today and was told by another that he was at the pond, singing and dancing alone. The evidence is starting to look like he may be an outcast or maybe orphaned." His friend said.

This was one of the conditions I needed to meet to get a handler. I did it. While this was fantastic news, I wanted another berry!

"Hello, little one," Leopold said softly. "How about another berry." He reached into his pocket and took out another. I watched what pocket he took it from before taking the berry. "That's it, little one."

I flew back to the bench to eat it. Once I was done, I flew over to Tasha and chirped at her. I spoke in the Dragonet language aloud instead of the mindlink.

"They are soooo good. Do you get these every day?! I want to check his pocket for more!"

"I don't get them daily, but I get them often. They also have Shia fruit, which is even better." She answered, also aloud. I then moved back to the mindlink.

"Can I sit on his shoulder? Would he give me more?"

"Do what you are comfortable with, but watch your claws. They will cause deep injuries if you're not careful. My handler wears pads so I can keep a grip without hurting him."

I flew back and slowed until I gently landed on his right shoulder. I was super careful to keep my claws in. Leopold stood very still and seemed to stop breathing. Did I hurt him? I looked down at my feet to double-check. When I looked back, they were all staring in shock.

Maybe that was a tad too soon. I chirped at him anyway, and he slowly took out another berry and handed it to me. I devoured it.

"Leopold, are you interested in becoming a handler for a bonded animal?" One of the Kymari asked him.

"It had never occurred to me that I could do that. Do I need to answer now? I want to think this over as it is a life-changing decision."

"Of course. We have never taken one from the wild without them being hurt. We must talk to the Elders before doing anything, but I recommend you come here at the same time every day and give him attention and food. I will give you a list of what the others are eating." Tasha's handler directed. "If you decide to be his handler, you can also come to my home so I can show you how to care for a fire lizard. Their wings and skin need to be cleaned and oiled every day. They are also brilliant and curious."

"Thank you." He looked over at me when I started chirping again. I left his shoulder and moved over to the bench again. I didn't want to harm him.

He followed me over and sat next to where I was. Now is my chance! I hopped on his lap and tried to get into the pocket that the berries came from. I've already had three, but I wanted another. These things are addicting!