Chapter 13

"'AND, all my powers, address your love and might/To honour Helen, and to be her knight!'"

Evelyn ran off the stage, and was immediately graced by praise from Mrs Woolworth. She returned her gratitude as Ginny went into her monologue as a heartbroken Hermia.

Before Evelyn could seclude herself backstage with the rest of the ensemble, she noticed Neil shrouded in the corner of the side stage, right by the closing curtain.

But Evelyn had only seen the back of him. Had she seen his face, she would have noticed the devastation and confusion written across it as he tried to gather his options moving forward.

"Where are your friends?" Evelyn asked as she passed Neil to peek at the audience beyond the closing curtain.

He tried to weather the storm brewing by clearing his throat. Then he leaned over Evelyn's shoulder to look out at the audience as well. "About eight rows back there's a line of troll-looking teenagers."

"I don't know... I think they're rather handsome."

Evelyn smiled at Neil beside her as he breathed a laugh that barely surfaced beyond his boiling nerves. It wasn't until he postured himself and his smile faded that he unmasked himself to Evelyn.

"Are you okay?"

Neil couldn't bring himself to fake a reassuring smile. "My dad's here."

Evelyn's eyebrows rose. She peeked out the curtain again. "Where?"

"He's the one standing at the back," Neil pointed. And with his directions alone, Evelyn noticed a balding man with a sinister frown. Half of his face had been shadowed by the darkness of the audience along with the both of his hooded eyes.

"He told me to quit the play last night. I didn't listen. He wasn't supposed to be here."

"Then all you can do now is prove yourself to him," Evelyn said and turned back around to face Neil. "You've been incredible all night. Just keep that up and all your dreams will become his. They're bound to. Okay?"

Neil wanted to believe that.

"Neil," Mrs Woolworth called from behind him. "That's your cue, Neil."

He began to walk towards her, glimpsing at Evelyn who offered him a slight smile. She had the same hope running through her from the night prior.

"Come on, Neil. Here's your crown. Let's go."

Evelyn couldn't help but look at Neil's father again. He seemed so miserable.

"Evelyn."

She looked over her shoulder to find Ginny had come off stage and was talking to her. Not as their characters or because they were obliged. She simply was.

"You're doing really well out there."

Evelyn felt a little frozen by her own surprise. But when the reality of the words sank in, she replied, "Thanks. So are you."

Ginny pursed her lips into a smile, saying nothing more. Then she walked away.

When the show was over, Neil left with his father. Mr Perry called for Neil and there was nothing he could do but leave with him obligingly.

Evelyn went home, too, shortly after. They all felt the weight of Neil's absence—he was the driving heart of the show after all—but no one felt it the way Evelyn had. She was a puddle of doom and gloom. It was like they were all caught underneath a raincloud, but Evelyn was the only one getting drenched in the storm. She didn't like the feeling of being the frowning face in the crowd of smiles and laughter.