CHAPTER 1- Amari

Harmonizing in the forest as one customarily does, Amari, in his cloak, was startled by the sudden flash of deer running towards him. He zoomed behind a huge rock just by the side of the road and hid. It was steep since his path was elevated. The sounds of galloping hooves came to a halt and then, the boom of a deep voice. "WE LOST THEM!"

Amari peered his head over the rock exposing just his eyes. Almost immediately, his eyes locked with the handsome stranger on the horse. With beautiful light locks of hair, a beard, and glorious brown eyes, Amari couldn't keep his eyes off him. The stranger also seemed somewhat smitten. There was a spark or a lightness of heart when they saw each other.

"We better get a move on then", came another voice from a distance. The stranger turned to reply but was disappointed to see that the eyes he was staring into, were gone. Amari flustered and with a racing heart crouched behind the rock and waited for the sound of hooves fading into the distance. This wasn't the time to be ogling over handsome strangers. Work needed to be done--quickly.

"That would be ten gold coins", the merchant said.

"Ten coins? How come? 'Twas but a week ago, I bought these rutabagas for five", a shocked Amari retorted.

"Sorry lad. Things 'er gettin' expensive", the merchant replied with a shrug.

Reluctantly, Amari reached into his pouch and counted ten gold coins. That was all the money left from what Master Reginald had given him for the day. What was he to do?-Master Reginald wouldn't be too happy that he did not get his favorite crumpets from Madame Trudeau's bakery. He handed him the coins and bagged the goods. He groaned as he struggled to keep the bag from slipping off his shoulders and getting entangled in his long dark dreadlocks.

It was a particularly hot day in Armedea. The flapping of fans in the hands of respectable ladies fluttered like the wings of a thousand moths. The loud chatter of merchants trying their hardest to sell their goods was deafening, to say the least, but work must go on. This heat was no excuse to be weary. If he faltered, there'd be no food for him that night. He could feel the sweat going down his back. Tempting as it was to take a break, he knew the consequences would have been more painful to bear.

Arriving at the brand-new clothes shop, he was greeted by a familiar face. Her shoulder-length brown hair and signature blue ribbon was a dead giveaway. "Isabelle? he asked.

She spun on her heels with a huge smile and hugged her best friend. "Amari! I've missed you so much. I haven't seen you in almost three weeks. How and where have you been?" she asked.

"Where else would I be? I've been working around the clock lately. You know the prince's birthday is coming up and Master Reginald wants Lyanna to look like a princess. Rumor has it that he may be looking for a bride", he replied smirking and winking mischievously.

"Urgh! No. Don't even imply that. It's not something I'm ready for. Marriage is not on the table for me, I think. At least, not now"

"Well, if you say so.", he started. He took a huge sigh and continued. "I'm here to pick out her clothes for the ball. I suspect you're doing the same?" he asked as he took a glance at her mother who frowned at the sight of him. A piece of him broke but he hid it with a smile.

Isabelle was a girl who lived not far from him. They were neighbors. Her family and Amari's family used to be very close. That was until his parents passed away tragically and his home was repossessed. Ever since the loving and smiling faces that joked and offered him treats in the past scorned and turned away their heads the moment they spotted him. Her family was well-to-do and quite respectable. Amari used to be like them but losing your parents at the age of twelve is quite an impuissant state for a child. It's been six years since they passed and the only friend Amari had was Isabelle. She never treated him any differently. They were family.