8.

Wiping the tears from my face, I looked at my mascara stained face in my rearview mirror. I pulled out my phone and began type my address in Uber.

"Fuck!" I yell again, repeatedly slamming my fist into the steering wheel. A $100 for a ride back to my apartment was too much, not even taking into consideration the amount I would have to pay for a tow truck on top of it all. I bury my head in my hands in pure frustration. I begin to rack my brain, listing off all my options in my head. I could sleep in my office for tonight? Or maybe leave earlier to catch the bus tomorrow? Maybe I could call Dominique?

Knock! Knock!

A gentle knock on my window pulls me out of my thoughts. I look up to see Mr. Hayes standing at my drivers side window, staring at me blankly. His dark features accentuated under the glow of the parking structure lights. His dark brows knitted together sternly as he takes in my appearance. Feeling suddenly self conscious, I quickly wipe my eyes with the sleeve of my shirt and attempt to paint a smile on my face as I open the door.

"Hi, I'm sorry," a sad laugh escapes my lips, "My car won't start." I wasn't even sure what I was apologizing for, but I always felt like I was doing something wrong when I was in his presence. I ran a hand through my hair. I could only imagine the way I looked right now with all the mascara smudged under my red and puffy eyes, sniffling like a five year old with a cold. He was easily the last person on this godforsaken planet I wanted to see me in this condition.

He looked me up and down, taking in my pathetic appearance again with an unreadable look on his face. A barely audible sigh leaves his mouth before he closes his eyes for a split second and opens them, his gaze firmly set on me. Turning on his heels he begins to walk in the other direction, "Come on," he says over his shoulder. I stand there, confused by what he means. He turns back around when he notices I hadn't fallen in line with him. He sighed again, but this time I could hear it clearly.

"I'm taking you home Lillian," his voice was firm and  assertive, he states it as though its an obvious fact. I almost interject, but stop myself when I see the stern look on his face, there was no room for arguing. I reluctantly walk toward him as he continues walking towards his car. He doesn't say a word as we round the corner of the parking garage. I follow behind him quietly, my arms crossed over my chest awkwardly.

A large black and white RESERVED sits above an insanely sleek black sports car with platinum detailing. It looked straight out of movie. I can't  begin to imagine what he paid for this thing, I take note of the brand with the intention of googling it later. He pulls out his keys and clicks a button, suddenly the passenger and driver doors open upwards. I think my jaw might have dropped to the floor, I have never seen such a thing before. I stand there in awe.

Mr. Hayes smoothly slides into the drivers seat with ease. I nervously crawl into the car, siting rigidly in the seat next to him. I take in the interior, black genuine leather seats, an giant high tech looking screen, and insanely sleek platinum interior detailing. I'm practically inside a space ship. It takes everything in me to hold myself back from running my hands over everything. I can only imagine the type of women who usually sit here. Probably models with legs so long they can barely sit comfortably in the seat. Fortunately for my stubby ass legs, I was more than comfortable.

"Address?" Mr Hayes looked at me expectantly, his eyes shifting to the screen in front of me.  He is a man of few words.

"Oh yes, okay," I nod and type my address into the screen. The engine roars to life as we leave the parking garage. I hoped he would turn on something to fill the sound of silence, but no. Of course this man drives in silence, only fitting for a drinker of black coffee. He looks straight forward, one hand gripping the wheel, the other resting on the gear stick. I look out the window, quietly taking in the city in front of me.

As we drive I watch peoples heads turn, in awe of the spaceship I was a passenger in. I can't help but imagine what this type of attention on a regular basis does to someones mind. Mr. Hayes was assertive, authoritative and even scary at times, but arrogance wasn't the word I would use to describe him. Confident? absolutely. Self assured? 100%. But arrogant? It just wasn't the right word for him. My eyes wander to his face. His jawline prominent, his features devilishly handsome. I try to stare from my peripheral, even from my distorted view he looks straight out of a movie.

He turns his head slightly, our eyes meet briefly. I've been caught. I quickly look back out the window, uncomfortably shifting in my absurdly comfortable seat. I can feel his peripheral stare burning a hole in the side of my head.

"I'll have someone tow your car to my mechanic. A driver will take you to and from work tomorrow, as I will be leaving for Chicago," he says without second thought.

"Thank you, Mr Hayes" I respond, "But I can take the bus, no need to inconvenience a driver." I turn to face him, his eyes now glued to the road.

"It wasn't a request, Lillian. He will pick you up at seven." The way he says my name nearly sends a shiver down my spine. I know better not to argue, it's a losing battle. I nod my head in response.

We continue the rest of the drive in silence. His hand grips the shift stick, his veins prominent and a tiny tattoo playing peek-a-boo under the cuff of his sleeve. I try to keep my eyes out the window, though I find my gaze subconsciously shifting towards him. He keeps his eyes set in front of him.

We round the corner, pulling into my apartment complex. Even from the outside it's a dilapidated shit hole. I find myself becoming increasingly self conscious, wishing I had him drop me off a block earlier.  I watch as his eyes scan his surroundings, slowly rolling up to my building, his eyebrows knit together with dissatisfaction.

"Well, this is my stop," I say awkward, "Thank you for everything. The tow, the ride, the driver. Really, I can't thank you enough." I smile, but I can't seem to get my eyes to meet his.

"You're welcome," he nods blankly, his demeanor unreadable.

"I guess I'll see you on Monday. Safe travels," I exit the spaceship as he rolls down his window.

"Goodnight Lillian," he responds, his dark gaze meeting mine. I momentarily freeze, my heart takes a heavy beat. He doesn't wait for my response as the engine roars to life again and he's quickly out of my sight.

***********
AUTHORS NOTE:
Hello! Thank you so much for choosing to give my story a read. If you like it, it would mean the world if you click on that star button!

Your comments and votes really do make my day and encourage me to continue this story! I'm so thankful that you've continued to stick with it. Writing this story is a dream of mine, and I am so excited to share it with you all!

All my love,
Alexandra