Chapter 11

Eloise

Alice knocks on the door at exactly ten am.

"She's punctual," Katie says from her work from home set up in the corner of the living room, headphones covering just one ear. I jump up from the couch and hurry to the door. "You're skipping."

"Am not." I pull the door open, and Alice smiles at me. "Morning." I take her in like I didn't just see her two days ago. She's wearing fitted blue jeans and a fashionably baggy white t-shirt.

"Morning, sunshine." I move so she can come in, and she pecks me on the cheek as she passes. "And you must be the famous Katie."

Katie takes her headphones off completely and stands to meet her for a hug in the middle of the living room. "Hi. It's so nice to meet you."

"Same here. I've heard great things. Oh, here." They pull apart, Alice digs in her back pocket, and produces Katie's black scrunchie. "I'm told this is yours."

Katie takes it and leans a bit to look at me. "What the hell?"

"You lent it to me forever ago, and I had it in my purse on Saturday. I let her use it. Then forgot she had it." I wander into our room to grab a sweater. "I actually have quite a bit in my purse that I need to return to you."

"This is why I'm hesitant to loan you things," Katie calls.

"Hesitant? You always say yes when I ask."

"Because I live with you and know I can steal it back eventually."

Alice leans against our bedroom door frame and raises an eyebrow at our closet. "It's exactly how I pictured it"

I look over my half of the closet. "In all its glory." I find the cardigan I was looking for - one of the only non pastel items of clothing I own - and shrug it on. "Ready?" Alice nods, and we return to the living room.

"What are your plans?" Katie asks, getting situated at her desk again.

"My mom is making us lunch, and we'll probably end up watching Criminal Minds," Alice says. "It's her favorite."

Katie pumps her eyebrows. "Spending time with your mom already?"

"Well, all date rules have been thrown out the window." Alice slides her arm around my shoulders. "She's already met my mom. And my brother. And my mom's cat. All within a couple hours of meeting me."

Katie nods. "Of course. I forgot. Well, you two enjoy yourselves."

"We will."

When we get to the door, Alice turns around. "Oh, Katie. I forgot I was going to thank you."

"For what?" Katie asks, eyebrows drawn together.

"For setting Eloise up on that date with James." Alice grins. "Never would've met her otherwise."

Katie grins, and I groan. "Oh, I told you not to tell her that!"

I drag her out the door, but Katie calls out "You're welcome" just before it closes. Alice giggles.

"Seriously. She'll never let me live it down."

"Good. She deserves at least part of the credit." She slides her hand into mine.

"Who gets the rest?"

"Fate? James? You. Me. It was a team effort."

"It certainly was."