Chapter 3

They told me I'd learn things as time went by, but I had to learn fast because things had been a little crazy since I woke up.

"Everyone knows now," Spinett gently told me before he spilled the news in one breath. "Your very ancient photo is on every screen across the continent and now the Council is demanding to meet with you before someone outside the border gets their hands on you. But before you meet them, you have to appear before the people." Then he breathlessly added, "And it will be streamed live."

I swear I could learn things faster than many, but at that precise moment, I only managed to hang on to one word. "Border?"

"The border between Genesis City and the Devil District." Too used to my type of questioning by now, he continued, "Well, Old London is its official name—not that there's anything official or legal in that place." He let out a dramatic shiver. "There are many borders between them and Genesis City, all of which are equipped with powerful bishop magic."

"And what's in Old London?"

"The ferals."

Akiko entered the room before I could ask another question. My attention immediately focused on the white clothes she presented to me with an eager smile.

"No," I said, shaking my head. Noting their surprise look at my haughty tone, I broke into a smile and said, "I can't wear that. I'd hate to ruin it. It is too pretty."

They looked at each other and broke into relieved laughter. "It is, isn't it?"

"But truly..." I stared at the horrible clothes. "I... Forgive me, but I've never worn trousers my entire life." Smile quivering, I added, "But I'd try one on if it can't be helped."

"Perfect," said Akiko, approaching me with her horrid burden.

"Although I assume you have a concoction for when my skin flares up?" I asked, brows arched. "Just in case?"

Spinett blinked a few times. "Flare up?"

I smiled at them with the most innocent smile I could muster. "My skin is highly sensitive to fabrics other than cotton. Thus, I've never worn trousers. Skirts simply make things a tad more bearable. But if you have cotton drawers for me to wear inside those trousers, I'd highly appreciate it."

"Cotton," Akiko said, turning to Spinett, "is rare nowadays."

"Oh," I said, shoulders dropping with great exaggeration. "Well, then, I'm sure I can handle the trousers. Surely we can brew some potions for the intense flares later."

"How intense are these flares?" Spinett asked, worry on his face.

I shrugged. "The worse I suffered was when I was nine and was forced to wear my cousin Nathaniel's trousers on a vacation to Bath. The flares went up my chest and I had trouble breathing. Fortunately, my Aunt Petunia was able to brew the right potion to keep me from dying." I looked at them with a bright smile. "You have similar potions I can take in advance for such allergies, I assume?"

Akiko made a sharp turn. "I'll find a dress."

When she left the room, I smiled at Spinett. "Is she your maidservant?"

"Akiko? Oh, Lord, no."

"No? What is she then?" Truly, I was curious. She was not a doctor like Spinett. She just entered the room now and then to look at the machines on the wall. She even delivered my food and helped me change my nightgowns. She did things a maidservant would do.

"Akiko is an Elemental."

"What is that?"

"Elementals are witches who can conjure magic and craft magical objects," Spinett patiently explained. "There are sorts of Elementals. Specifically, we're Cooks."