Chapter Eight

Bennett

1.5 years later

My mom held onto my shoulder as the train finally screeched to a halt. She looked like she was going to cry. I wasn't faring too well either, but it was hard to believe that I'd really gotten my life together.

A lot had happened ever since I failed my A levels. No one was as mad as I thought they'd be, but it didn't help with the existential crisis I was having during that time.

Elliot and I hadn't talked much after I gave his phone back. I didn't care to; I was busy sorting things out with Thomas. I wish I'd listened to him when he first walked away from me on the rooftop of my apartment, but I guess people don't learn how hot the fire is until it burns them.

It was a lot to recover from, but I had a brand-new start now. Our small town was becoming quieter as students left to pursue university. Elliot, Maude, and surprisingly Horton were amongst them. I was one of the few that had to stay back, but I would soon be on my way. Failing A levels was a huge wake-up call that finally got the panic to kick in, making me take charge of my life. Turning 18 gave me some leverage over it as well, and I moved in with mum and step-dad long-term.

"I'm so proud of you, Bennett," mum sobbed as she hugged me. I held onto her firmly as my step-dad patted my back.

"You did well," he said. "Don't feel too awkward, okay? I started university late as well."

"It was a good break, yes?" said mum pulling back to wipe her face. "Now, don't get carried away there. London's just as dangerous as any other place."

"I'll be fine mum." I nodded and kissed her hand, bidding her a gentle farewell before boarding the train. "I'll call you!"

I got comfortable on a seat and looked at them through the window. They stayed until the train started to move, and we waved to each other until they were too far to be visible anymore. I was going to miss them, but this is one of the few times I was looking forward to something.

The campus was like any other university I'd seen on TV. Old, ivy-clad brick walls, antique arches and stone railings, wrought iron gates, and neatly trimmed lawns with vibrant trees. Students milled about lazily, some resting in the shade and others simply walking and talking. They were all dressed rather nicely, while some were understandably eccentric. It was an arts and humanities university, after all. People had more freedom of expression in places like London.

I was envious of those who were born and bred in the city. They all seemed so confident and sure of themselves.

The building loomed high over me in such an intricate and majestic way that I instantly felt rather small. The greying white bricks against the dreary skies made it almost romantic.

A senior student called for the first-years to join them for a tour of the university, and she led us inside. Everyone else already seemed to be familiar with the place...and each other. I'd missed the open day of the university because I couldn't afford to travel and stay overnight in London back then. Things were much easier now.

The classrooms were thankfully modern, and so were the cafeteria and student halls. There was a common room as well, and it was by far one of my favourite places after the library. The senior ended the guide by getting us sorted in our rooms, then left us to our own devices.

My feet ached as everything finally stilled. When I sat on the bed to take a breath, it all finally hit me. I was in London so far away from home. The air, the chill of the air, the taste of water, it was all so different. The dorm room was clean, designed in neutral and dark tones. I looked at the bed opposite to mine and wondered where my roommate was.