→ 𝐈𝐈𝐈.𝐗𝐗𝐗𝐕𝐈𝐈

.

ACT III
CHAPTER XXXVII

the clumsiness of tributes

"I JUST... I am sorry Latif," Thana says, "it shouldn't have happened, sorry, I am truly sorry." The girl raises her gaze to look in her brother's eyes.

"It is okay sissy," Latif smiles sadly at his sister, "you are there for me, I am there for you."

"No, you don't get it." Thana shakes her head, "this was out of line, it was unspoken for."

"Thana," Latif pats his sister's shoulder, "let us not worry about that past, we have to tributes to prepare for the games."

"You're right, sorry." Thana gives her brother an embrace and leaves the room.

...

A fake smile covers Thana's face as Wirt and Felica get back from another training day. They don't look very talkative, but they do look hungry. Thana knows that if it is too silent, which it always will be for August and the two stylists for the tributes; they will simply hold a conversation with the three of them.

"How was the training today?" August asks, not waiting for an answer, "tomorrow will be your last day. And then your personal assessment, score announcements, interviews and the games will start the next day." He exclaims, "I am so excited, aren't you guys?"

"Oh, we are!" Ilya exclaims smiling with her stylist partner Fort. All the while that Wirt and Felica look disgusted towards the Jardin siblings.

"Why don't we calm down," Thana smiles at the Capitol civilians, "let us enjoy these days before the games."

"Yes, yes," August nods in agreement, "of course, but it is all very exciting."

"Let Wirt and Felica eat in peace," Latif says bumping into Thana playfully, "god knows they don't get that in a few days," he whispers to her as he sits down next to her.

"Anyway," Thana gives Felica and Wirt a welcoming smile, "Latif told me about your training from yesterday." She sends a thankful smile to her brother. "We never truly asked this before; but do you two want to be mentored completely alone?"

"We can both help you with strategies leading up to the games, or if you both want the other we will mainly help one of you and only give each other advice." Latif jumps in. "If so, we won't be talking about the games unless it is general knowledge we want both of you to know." Latif looks at Thana who gives him a smile to show her pride in him.

Wirt and Felica exchange looks, "I would like to be mentored alone," to soft voice of Felica rings through the floor and Wirt nods approvingly.

"I do to," he looks at the siblings, "I would like to be mentored mainly by Latif alone."

"And I would really like to be mentored by you Thana," Felica smiles up the older girl.

"Then it is settled," Latif grins, "you guys went by some survival stations again?" Both tributes nod. "Great, that is great."

...

The next morning the tributes go down for their last training. Thana goes down with them, but steps out on the floor of 7. There she is greeted by the sight of the tributes waiting for the elevator. Thana kindly steps away from the doors and lets the tributes from 7 enter.

"Hey Thana," Blight pops some chips in his mouth and salutes to the young woman as she walks into their dining area. "Want some?"

"No thank you Blight," Thana laughs, "oh, but I do see you still have some oranges left. Do you mind if I eat one?"

"Go ahead," Blight pats Thana's head, "you're lucky I already pushed the stylists and escorts off the floor, they would've bombarded you with questions and the want of an autograph."

"Well, I must say I owe you one then," Thana smiles as she peels the fruit. "Is Johanna also around here somewhere?"

"Is there talk about an allyship?" Johanna barges in as Blight asks the question.

"Felica and Isola, yeah." Thana wipes off her hands and gets up to hug the older girl.

"But you two are not going to talk about that," Blight acknowledges, "I am sure about that."

"You would be correct," Johanna smiles. "We will be talking with Finnick about the possibility of an allyship between Felica, Isola and Asdell."

"Have fun!" Blight shouts after them as Thana puts a piece of the orange in her mouth.

"Don't forget to have it yourself!" Johanna salutes and pulls Thana with her who smiles at the older victor. "We will be at floor 4 if you need us."

As the elevator doors open the girls see Mags smiling at them. Both smile back at the older woman before making their way onto the floor. Finnick grins as he sees the two and raises his glass of orange juice.

"We are matching Thana!" the confident man smirks, "you don't fit in with us Mason."

"I could say the same about you Odair," the victor of 7 grins and plops down on the white couch with a thud. "Not a victor who has won in the last, oh I don't know 4 years."

"Come, let's not play mean," Thana smiles as she gently lets herself fall onto the couch next to Johanna, "wouldn't want Mags to lecture us about decent manners now."

"So," Finnick makes himself at home close to the girl, "Isola, Felica and Asdell." He stops for a minute. "Seems like an allyship that will sail down quickly."

"Give them some hope," Thana says raising her eyebrows, "let them at least get the feeling that they will all get through the first few minutes."

"Chances are not too high about that yeah," Johanna picks up the glass that belonged to Finnick and takes a sip from it, receiving a puppy look from the man. "Isola is truly how I tried to portray myself 3 years ago."

"Well then," Finnick gets up, "we are done talking. The allyship has been accepted by all three parties and their mentors."

"Looks like we can bother Blight again," Johanna smirks as she gets up towards the elevator.

"Was a pleasure doing business with you Finnick," Thana smiles and bids Mags goodbye before following Johanna to go up again.

"He is such a sweetheart, but always looks and acts like an arrogant toerag." Thana complains once the elevator doors close.

"Glad you are back to your old self," Johanna smiles softly, "this way we can get in all kinds of trouble together." She lets her hand hover above it before pushing the button that will bring them to the roof. "Time for a skyline view."

"I do love a good view with a beautiful sky," Thana laughs as Johanna runs out of the elevator screaming at the sky.

"Oh god," Johanna lets her arms fall and looks up at the clouds, "I truly needed that."