⋆⋆✧ [17] ✧⋆⋆

Wally always used to look at the positive side of things

For him, the glass was half full rather than half empty, and everything was okay if he decided that it would be. That's why he turned the day he died into something else. He didn't want pity or sorrows, just laughs and to be cheered.

As he died on a big night that still happens to this day, it was not hard to put everyone in the mood. When the night begins, he pretends to be on the team, making a noticeable entrance that only the ghost can perceive, plays a bit, and always ends up sitting next to his mother. The mother who had pushed him in everything he did, the mother who always wanted the best, the perfection from him. The one he could never blame for anything that had happened because of that.

She would come every year, saving a seat beside her for him as he liked to believe. She would cheer the players as if her son was still playing with them. He got to see her every year thanks to that, and he knew he was luckier than most.

So when he explained it to Kat, she immediately understood that despite their big discovery last night, today wasn't about her or anyone else. Tonight, was Wally's, and she would make sure it was perfect for him. She was glad he was always there for her, and he only deserved the same from her.

So she put all her questions in the back of her head and settled next to him to paint some banners for tonight. "What is your mother like?" she asked him while putting more glitter in her hair than on the paper.

"She is a perfectionist," he replied after a second. "She always wanted the best for me. I was about to get a scholarship when it happened, and it was all thanks to her."

"I'm sure some of it was because of her, but you are your own person. Most of it was thanks to your own work, Wally," she said. As she said that, he looked at her with a weird look, a mix between surprise and something softer she couldn't quite describe. She smiled and added, "I think you are extraordinary, Wally Clark. Your mother was lucky to have you."

Wally's heartbeat was about to explode, and he was the one to look away first to avoid jumping on Kat and trapping her in a hug. No one had ever said that to him, and when she did, he realized he was instead the lucky one, lucky to be able to hold Katherine Wells's hand and sleep next to her.

As they continued working, a weird feeling began to grow in his chest as he slowly convinced himself that tonight would be different.

☾⋆⋆★⋆⋆☾

Kat watched Wally run on the field with a big smile on his lips and admiration in her eyes. He wore his blue jersey, making him sexier than ever, and the golden chain around his neck added to the warmth inside her stomach.

When he finally ran back to her, he caught her in his arms, making her fly around him before finally letting her back down and cupping her face gently in his hands to kiss her. It was a soft kiss, grazing his lips against hers before pulling back and kissing her forehead. "You were amazing!" she cheered as he smiled at her before pointing to the crowd. "Look, she's here."

Kat turned around and met eyes with his mother, who was wearing the team's colors and waving blue flags. Needless to say, she was invested.

"That's the biggest supporter in the bleachers," she laughed as Wally took her hands in his. "I never liked football," he confessed suddenly. He had never told anyone, but she deserved to know everything. Her eyes widened at the revelation as she turned to face him. "Why--" she began asking before not finishing her sentence, letting him speak freely.

They both sat down next to the field. "My mother always wanted me to play, so I did. I did everything for her," and Kat could understand--in fact, she perfectly understood everything.

"So today isn't really about you, is it? You're still trying to make her proud after all this time?"

Her tone was sweet, but her words reached Wally's heart like a knife, because she was right, and he was sad. Suddenly, after all these years of pretending, he felt truly sad for himself. Kat loomed closer, placing her head on his shoulder after placing a kiss on his cheek.

"You deserve the effort you give to others. You deserve to love and take care of yourself the same way," she said. And then she added, "It's okay to move on."

This time, the kiss he gave her was deeper, and she gave in, feeling fireworks exploding in her mind. Kissing Wally always felt so right. She was addicted to this feeling. This kiss was full of gratitude and perhaps even love, she thought. When their lips finally parted, he realized what he had to do.

"Will you excuse me for a minute, Kit Kat? There is something I need to do." She gently nodded, watching him make his way up to his mother, sitting down next to her.

She watched as he talked and said goodbye. As he began to cry, he made his way back to her, and they went to the roof, where for once, he was the one who let go of everything as she held him as tight as possible.

Kat made a vow to herself that she would always make sure to put Wally first when he was putting everyone above himself.

☾⋆

sorry for the short chapter

Bye bye 🐝