Eleven

The door opens to Ian's room and Liam wants to check but he's also comfortable. Ian's hand drops to his hair again and he closes his eyes contently.

"Oh hey Em. Good morning." Ian speaks, telling Liam who it is. He blinks his eyes open and turns to look. When he moves, Ian's hand drops.

"Hey." Liam speaks and Ember smiles at him.

"What are you guys doing?" She flicks her eyes between Liam and Ian, then goes to Chris and the TV.

"I was teaching Liam how to play but then Chris came in and was being an ass so now Liam's just watching." Ian says. Ember's eyes suddenly narrow and she glares over at Chris.

Part of Liam wants to say something to get the pressure off the boy with the piercings but he doesn't know what.

"I wasn't being an ass." Chris says, sounding more confused than offended.

"You were laughing at him. That's why he quit."

Liam decides not to say anything. They're talking about him like he isn't here so that should be easy. Ember shuts the door behind her and goes to sit on the bed.

She seems to be done scolding Chris because she asks to join the card game. Ian isn't though because he's still glaring.

"Hey man, I'm sorry." Chris is looking at Liam now. "I didn't mean to offend you. It's just because you're new, you'll get better. I just can't help myself, when I wanna laugh I can't stop myself."

Liam shrugs. "It's okay."

It is. It doesn't bother him anymore, he's just too embarrassed to keep playing. Chris smiles like he's accepted that and turns back to the game.

Ian rolls his eyes and runs a hand through Liam's hair again before going back to playing. Liam leans his head against Ian's leg again and watches the screen. He's found that watching is more entertaining than playing. Maybe that's just how he thinks because he sucks but either way, he likes to watch.

After three more rounds of the game, the door opens again. Liam looks up this time to see Izzy walking in. She walks over to the bed and sits down by Ember, resting her head on the girl's shoulder and looking at her cards. Ember smiles and just like that they all go back to what they were doing.

Ian's hand moves Liam's fringe a bit before going back to the game. Liam rests against his leg and watches them. He'd never dream this is something he would be doing in the future but now he can't imagine trying to do something else. He likes it here.

"I'm bored." Izzy's voice cut in after Chris and Ian had played a couple more rounds. "Let's do something as a group."

Ian runs a hand through Liam's hair while turning to look at the girl. The action makes Liam stay where he is rather than move to look at her as well.

"What do you want to do?" Ian asks.

"I don't care."

"We don't have a lot of time. I've gotta go home at one." Lucas speaks. This makes Liam finally moves to look over at the bed. Ian's hand leaves his hair but that isn't what he's focusing on.

"What time is it?"

Lucas checks the time on his phone. "Almost twelve."

"Shit. I gotta be home by twelve thirty." Liam bites on his lower lip.

Izzy sighs. "Fine we can keep just sitting around. I demand we do something fun next time though."

Lucas rolls his eyes. "This is fun."