first day back

This was the moment I waited for every year

I was sat in the passenger seat in my moms car, while my older brother, Steven, was driving in the drivers seat. Behind me was my younger sister Isabel, also known as Belly, with my mom, Laurel sitting next to her. My parents had gotten divorced last year, and my mom seemed happy for once.

We were on our way to my mom's best friend's house, whose name is Susannah Fisher. She lives in a big house on the ocean with a pool, which two sons named Conrad and Jeremiah.

We came here every summer since Steven was born. Last summer, I was apart of a debutante at the country club, which symbolizes teaching manners and showing the matureness of a young women. And normally you have an escort, basically a date. And my date was none other than Conrad Fisher. This summer I wouldn't be surprised is Susannah tries to get Belly to be a deb.

Me and Conrad fisher go way back. We've always had...something. Always labeled as friends, but deep down something was never just 'friends'. That was clear when he was my escort to the debutante.

If it wasn't clear, i've had a massive crush on Conrad pretty much my whole life.

Conrad, who also goes my Connie as a nickname from Susannah, was hard to read. I could never tell if he liked me back.

As my mind pondered while Belly sings "Cruel Summer" by Taylor Swift which was playing through the radio, we got closer and closer to the house.

Suddenly, Steven turns down the radio.

"So," Steven starts. "You excited to see Conrad Val?"

My full name was Valarie Mercedes Conklin, but most people just call me Val. But Conrad also called me Vee sometimes.

"Oh shut up." I groan.

"Cmon Val, don't act like you guys don't have eyes for each other." My mom laughs from the back seat.

"We haven't seen each other in a year! A lot could've changed!" I laugh.

"Don't act like we all haven't heard you and Conrad laughing on FaceTime at two in the morning every night for the past year." Belly laughs.

Me and Belly have always been close, like best friends close. And I've been trying to get her and Jeremiah together for years.

"Because we're friends." I say as I smile just thinking about that boy.

"Well from what Susannah's told me, he hasn't smiled in months, and we all know you can always crack a smile on his face Val." My mom says.

I look down on my wrist to see a red bracelet. Me and Conrad have had these matching red bracelets since I was six and he was seven.

We pull into the driveway, and we all jump out to see the Fisher family waiting for us.

Steven and Belly run to Jeremiah, my mom runs to Susannah, while me and Conrad find ourselves sprinting into each others arms.