Chapter 5

Chapter 5:

I bought several umbrellas, but they keep getting lost. When it started raining, we were rehearsing for our dance performance. We had no choice but to look for a shelter and wait for it to stop. It was also lightning, which added to how ominous the clouds appeared. We stayed some time in Andrew's house.

Mukhang matatagalan ang pagtila ng ulan and some of my classmates were there.

"Gusto ko maligo sa ulan." Emjae muttered.

"Magkakasakit ka niyan." I told her.

"Maliligo naman ako after. Tara? Paulan tayo?"

Even I was tempted with the rain. It was pouring and I can hardly see the houses and trees. But all I could think is how will I get home, soaking wet? I don't have an umbrella with me or an extra shirt, and what if bigla lang tumila ang ulan?

Emjae never really thought about it. Nakita ko na lang siyang sumulong at dinama ang pagbagsak ng ulan sa paligid niya. I borrowed an umbrella because I want to follow her. I told her dadamayan ko siya but on one condition. Sasamahan ko siya pero nakapayong ako.

I even persuaded April to come along with us, but she declines. Mapapagalitan daw siya ng lola niya. One of the reasons I enjoyed living alone is that I am free on my own and I can make choices without my parents knowing. Although, sinasabihan ko naman sila paminsan-minsan. But I do lie on some occasions that I am in my room when in fact, I'm in a place where I don't even know.

Emjae led the way, and I followed. We began stomping the water away by stepping on the cement. Naiinggit 'yung iba but they can't do anything but to watch. We started running away from their house. Inikot pa namin 'yung buong villa and it was so stupid of me to race with Emjae na nakapayong.

Emjae looked so happy. I can see how her eyes were squinting and her smile was the brightest of all. Even in the simplest thing, we find the joy. I mean, why are we so obsessed with the rain? What makes the rain so beautiful and sad at the same time?

In the end, basa rin ako. I had to walk home na basang basa but April was there to share me her umbrella. Sabay kaming umuwi na malakas ang ulan at iisa lamang ang payong. Para akong basang sisiw that time. April told me to take a bath after ko umuwi. She even invited me to come to her sibling's birthday.

Nahihiya ako but she insisted on doing so. Napapayag naman ako sa huli. I was wearing a denim skirt and a blue top when she knocked on my door. She even told me I readied myself too much. At least, wear something presentable on someone's birthday.

"Nakita mo 'yung nalunod sa may dagat? Kaya sinasabi ko sa inyo, huwag masyadong pumunta kung saan saan, huwag puro gala lalo na kapag gabi. Lalo ka na April."

Nagtama ang mata naming dalawa. We stifle our laughs dahil baka mas lalo pa kaming mapagalitan. April kept defending herself although it was true na napapagabi na ang paglabas niya and in those moments, magkasama pa kami. I'm starting to think if bad influence ba ako sa kanya.

April served me a cake. She even wanted me to have a taste of her spaghetti na mas may maraming cheese. I had a hard time pulling the strand of my hair to the back of my ear, so she did it for me. She was holding my hair for a second while I was having a taste of the food in her plate.

I was flustered for a moment. I saw some pictures in her desk. They said they were taken from certain places and there was this rabbit little poster that was given to her by the girl she liked for three months. She appreciates little things too. I'm wondering if she's a sentimental person.

She even escorted me back home. We chatted for a little while. I was on my bed laughing on every word she said. Her titas were curious that they asked me who I was. Napagkamalan pa nga akong girlfriend ni April.