1- burning questions

parker 

parker 

present; narrative 

"My fingers are gonna fall off." I groaned, finishing the last braid on Quinn's head before flopping on the couch next to her. The rest of the team was cramped into Quinn and I's apartment, most of them doing their own things while I braided Quinn's hair and eventually Angel's hair when I could feel all my fingers again.

In freshman year when I met the whole team I became the hair stylist. Helping with braids, wigs or even random hair styles. It's not like I was in school to do hair or even cared to do it. I was just good at it, and growing up basically attached to Quinn and Leo meant my braiding skills were on point.

Angel took Quinn's seat the second she got up. We were on very limited time, expected to go for a team dinner tonight to meet with the whole team. There were freshmen and transfers so Coach thought a dinner would be a good way to get to know everyone before classes started. And obviously Quinn and Angel left getting their hair done to the last second.

"So how do you guys feel about Van Lith?" Jae asked, coming into the living room. She always raided our fridge before joining us.

I had heard about Hailey Van Lith transferring from Louisville to LSU, ironic after we just won the NCAA. I didn't understand why Hailey was coming to LSU and it seemed I wasn't alone. Half the internet thought she was chasing the money or the championship ring, as much as she denied it what other reason could it be.

"I'm excited she's good, could do a lot for us." Angel replied to Jae's question while I stood up and started on her hair. I decided to stay out of the conversation. I knew all the other girls liked Hailey and were excited to bring her game to LSU.

"Yo Parker, you like Van Lith?" Kateri noticed my silence, forcing me to make my opinion about the new blonde known. I didn't want to ruin the excitement the girls had but it felt like my job to protect them and I would do anything to protect this team from someone who just wanted the championship win.

"Yeah, she's okay." I shrugged, definitely not matching the other girls enthusiasm but hopefully it was enough to get them off my back. It wasn't a lie, Hailey was a good player. She was talented and had good skills but she could've kept her skills in Louisville for another year.

"Okay? Have you seen her play?" Angel moved to face me, making me drop her hair. She realized her mistake and quickly turned back around if she wanted this finished today.

"Yeah she's good. I don't know what else to say." After that the girls dropped the topic, talking about other random things while I concentrated on Angel's hair. She facetimed her man half way through, making me run around braiding her hair while she moved.

After about 2 hours I finally finished. My arms were exhausted but it was already time to get ready and head out for dinner. I always got invited by one of the girls or by Coach Kim who loved me like I was one of the girls. I came to every game, practices when I could and almost every team dinner. Might as well start playing if someone gets injured.