VI

"To achieve great things, two things are needed: a plan and not quite enough time." Leonard Bernstein

----

VI.

As Lily approached Mr McCarthy's office the following morning, head down and determined, she nearly ran right into Mr Maguire as he came very swiftly through the door.

Mr Maguire caught Lily by holding onto her shoulders, righting her, before he spoke in a hurried tone.

Lily barely had time to realise that a man had just laid his hands upon her, and it was yet again another very odd occurrence to her.

"He's in a right foul mood this morning, Miss Bennett. I'm making myself scarce and going to get him something to put in his belly. Promise you'll be here when I get back. Don't let him drive you away, now."

Mr Maguire did not wait for Lily's reply. He walked quickly away as he buttoned his coat and placed his hat atop his head.

Lily's nerves fluttered in her stomach as she turned her head back towards the office.

"WHERE IS IT?" she heard Mr McCarthy yell from inside of the office. A closed door was between her and the man, and yet she could still hear him yelling very clearly.

Alright. He was searching for something. Lily would help him find it. She was a secretary. This was a secretary type job to do. Unless he was searching for a pair of his unmentionables ... but that was highly unlikely now, wasn't it?

This was only her second day of working, of being out in the world and experiencing what it had to offer. Lily had autonomy now that she had taken some control of her life and she was choosing to wield it in this way.

Lily opened the door and immediately was faced with a scene of chaos. Any semblance of organisation that she had created the day before had completely disappeared as Mr McCarthy tossed piles of paperwork in the air and moved onto the next pile before the former had floated to the ground like large, ink-filled snowflakes.

Mr McCarthy was in a state. If it were possible, he looked even more tired than he had the day before when she had encountered him half-shaven. His face was flushed with colour, and his russet hair was in complete disarray. He had barely dressed himself. His shirt was unbuttoned to his sternum, and it was only half tucked into his breeches. He had not even donned his boots yet and was stomping through the office barefoot.

"Mr McCarthy!" Lily called out to capture his attention and to alert him that she had arrived.

Mr McCarthy paused momentarily in his tirade and frowned at her with a most displeased expression. "You're late!" he accused.

Lily was quite taken aback. She did not carry a timepiece, but she most certainly was not late. In fact, she was definitely early.

Before she could defend herself and negate his accusation, Mr McCarthy continued, "What did you do with it? Did you move it? Throw it away? WHERE IN THE BLEEDIN' HELL IS IT?"

Lily knew that her age and sheltered upbringing betrayed her in that moment as she heard Mr McCarthy used cursed words in front of her. But even as he swore, the stress and panic were etched all over the man's face. He could apologise later.

"If you tell me what it is you are looking for, I might be able to help you locate it," Lily offered calmly, and she was very, very proud of her tone. She had never experienced such a display in her life, and she was doing remarkably well to remain composed.

Mr McCarthy's frustrated green eyes found her then, and he seemed to force himself to take a breath. "A letter from Greensborough Mills," he said tersely through clenched teeth. "I can't find it, and I need it now."