❄️Fifty-Five❄️

Epilogue

Nora let her eyes wander over the fresh layer of snow through the diamond lattice window of the kitchen, all the way to the eaves of the forest where her cottage sat, the sight making her shiver and reach for the cardigan she had removed while she had been cooking. Smiling, she recalled how she used to consider snow a nuisance, falling only to complicate her life, until she met Martin. He taught her to see it through his eyes, as a silent perfection, a veil of purity making the world, at least for a while, more beautiful.

She glanced at her phone placed on the counter, always within reach, to see the time and found the latest text from Martin, informing her, as almost every day, that he would come home on time for lunch. Her smile widened; ever since they started to live together, he hardly ever skipped the midday meal with her and Daniel, despite being as busy as ever.

Leaving her spot by the window, she walked towards the oven and switched it off even as she pulled out the tray of her homemade pizza, Daniel's favourite, prepared today as a treat on his last day of school before Christmas. She leaned against the counter then, facing the front door, counting the last minutes before he would burst inside, happy to find her waiting for him. She loved him so much... Just like she loved Martin.

Her eyes travelled to her hands unconsciously, in search of her wedding band sitting next to the pearl engagement ring.

They got married in June, six months after getting engaged, in the castle's Golden Room. They didn't say anything to anyone, apart from Daniel, letting people guess as they noticed their rings eventually.

Nora giggled; she and Martin were so similar in so many things. They both valued their own decisions and privacy; they didn't care how their choices looked to other people...

Faint sound of running feet disturbed her reverie and even as she looked to the door again it flew open, Daniel's fumbling with his boots and slippers giving her time to put a protective hand over her belly. She was sixteen weeks pregnant and only just beginning to show, but the force of Daniel's love was such that... He ran at her before she could finish her line of thought, Adele's strict voice trailing behind him even as Nora lifted him up carefully and sat him on the counter next to the pizza, kissing him on the forehead, "I told you to be more careful with Nora, Daniel!"

"It's all right, Adele, we are fine here," she replied to the old woman. "Thank you so much. So, we'll see you and your family at the ball, right?"

With Nora around and Martin being able to make the hours she insisted on doing in the castle as flexible as they could get, they didn't really need Adele's help with Daniel. But Daniel needed her, a solid grandmother figure he lacked on both sides from his parents. And he needed Clelia, too. Nora's godmother had gradually become a close member of their family since Nora had returned a year ago and settled comfortably into a grandmother role.

"Sure, thank you again for the invitation; my daughter is delighted," Adele disturbed her train of thought. "And should you and Martin feel like you need a night to yourselves during the holidays, just call me."

"They won't, will you, Nora?" Daniel asked, sure of the effect his wonderfully green, pleading, puppy eyes had on her, the little monkey.

She laughed. "No, we won't, thanks, Adele. Have a nice afternoon."

"So how was school?" Nora asked the moment Adele left, looking into Daniel's eyes, searching for half-truths she had already learned to spot.

"Good. I'm hungry. Can we eat now? And will you take me ice skating later?"

Nora nodded, satisfied with his brief answer.

"We'll eat as soon as Daddy comes, as always. And yes, I'll take you ice skating later if you want. But now," she added, setting him on the floor again, "go and wash your hands, please. Take these jeans off; they are wet. And when we come back, you'll help me make your spare bed for Lily. You haven't forgotten she's coming for a sleepover tonight, have you?"

Daniel nodded enthusiastically before he hopped off towards his room. Since Nora and Martin had gotten together, he appreciated his friend much more, with the threat of the girl's mother stepping into his life as more than his father's friend being removed.

"And when is Uncle Eric coming?" he called over his shoulder before he vanished through the door.

"In two days, as you well know. After you come back from grandma's."

As she cut the pizza, she reflected on her relationship with Eric. They had never spoken about what had passed between them on the night of the ball, but seeing Nora first engaged, then married to Martin seemed to have cleared Eric's mind. He behaved to her as a fun, caring, and loving older brother, and she was perfectly happy with that.

As for Daniel's family... She knew that his mother still kept refusing to see either him or Martin. Nora insisted that Martin took Daniel to see his grandparents as he had always done in the past, and try to tempt them to come over the next Christmas instead; she would be delighted to meet them, to make them a proper part of Daniel's world. Just like her mother and sisters, who never missed an occasion to spend a few days in the spa since Nora married Martin, had become.

"And did he tell you anything about our masks for the ball?" Daniel continued his own line of thinking, disturbing hers, as he ran back into the room wearing a dry pair of pants, even as the front door opened again to admit Martin.

"He told me that our costumes this year will be matching Nora's, whatever that means," Martin said.

He rolled his eyes at his brother's silliness and extravagance as he removed his shoes before he scooped up Daniel who ran at him, kissed him, set him on his hip and carried him to Nora, laying his hand on her barely swollen belly reverently while he pressed his lips to hers.

"I love you," they said in unison when they pulled away, making Daniel laugh.

"Shall we eat before my pizza gets too cold? And I made the gingerbread biscuits too; who will help me decorate them tonight?"

"Me!" Daniel called as he moved towards the table already set for lunch when Martin put him down and walked towards the bathroom.

"And me," Martin chimed in, returning into the room even as Nora carried their plates to the table.

"Copycat," Daniel muttered as he sipped his apple juice, giggling contentedly when he caught Nora's pretend frown.