CHAPTER 2

ESMERALDA

"I hope the night goes as planned" I muttered to myself as I brushed out my curls. The beautiful dark red dress clung to my chest accentuating my bosom which had grown over the past few years. The dress was everything, it was thin at the waist and flowed from my waist downwards covering my feet. I had worn my little black pumps to match, at least that's what I think. I put on a cloak with a hood since I have to walk all the way there.

The entrance of the ball was enchanting, there was a fountain in the middle of the entrance, different carriages arrived with young maidens and royal families from nearby. They all looked exceptionally dressed for the occasion, well of course they should, this was the first ball of the season. The prince had to find a bride and not just a bride but the future queen of Santoria. The wedding and coronation comes shortly after.

Wincing as I find the garden, my feet hurt so bad from walking. I hid my cloak in one of the bushes, fixing my hair and dress before heading to the entrance.

"Miss Esmeralda Caldwell" my name was announced. I tried to shake off the nervousness wrecking my body. Been presented in front of a lot of people especially the royal family and elite.

Moving away from their piercing gaze, I shrink to a corner. My eyes swept across the ballroom in search of the queen and I did find her, but she seemed to be so engrossed in surveilling the entire room.

"Okay, don't panic. All you have to do is stay here until she is alone" I muttered to myself.

"Hello there?" A familiar deep voice coming from behind me said. I spun so hard, I'm surprised my head didn't fall off.

And there he was. The beautiful yet disrespectful man from yesterday's incident. Oh the nerves he has to approach me in such a nice manner. He did give me some money though.

Keeping that in the back of my mind, I gave him a toothy smile wide enough to break my jaw. He raised his eyebrows at me, was it too obvious that that was a fake smile?

Clearing my throat my lips fell back in a thin line. "A pleasant evening to you mister" I said while I curtsied.

"It's Duke Frederick, miss?" He corrected me.

"Duke!" I blurted out. Only now did I notice he had on the royal colors. He was a Duke, oh dear where are my manners. He was royalty, he could put in some good words for me to the Queen. The problem is I had been exceedingly rude to him. I need to get on his good side, become his good friend, just a friend.

"I didn't expect to see you here, given your condition the other day."

"You don't mean to say, I looked unfit for this occasion, do you?"

"That was not what I implied. Let's just leave that aside, perhaps we can talk about your reason for being here."

My mouth hung open as I caught a sight of the prince or so I assumed. He was magnificent, and all of a sudden I wanted to leave all my responsibilities behind and swoon over him for the rest of my life.

He had thick black hair that had been gelled back, his grey eyes like that of a storm brewing was hidden under his meticulously long eyelashes and finely trimmed eyebrows. His plump pink lips moved slightly as he spoke, he didn't seem to want to converse, judging by the amount of girls around him. His royal garment suits him so perfectly. He was royalty no doubt.

"Uh hmm" I heard a hoarse voice from my left and I had almost forgotten about the duke and my plans for tonight. Just a stare, what if he talks to me? I might as well follow mother to the dead.

"Sorry" I muttered, bowing my head, trying to hide the blush creeping up my neck.

"So you are here for my cousin also" he said. His expression was hard to decipher.