Chapter 3

Elies didn't get it, and Haze didn't, either. Leaving Maywood was best for all three of them. Beautiful women for Elies, a world beyond their piece of the woods for Haze— Ayko pitched both of these, but the two mules still wouldn't budge.

His brother, in particular, was so hard-headed, and for what? His safety? Bah! As the older twin, Ayko could worry about himself.

"I'll make him come around," Ayko huffed. "He can count on it."

Sweat dewed on Ayko's bare skin despite the freezing night air, the frosted branch in his hands tearing through the evening wind. Frost puffed from his mouth with each gasp for air, and he fell to his knees. This was no fun at all–what good was a sparring session if his only opponent was the forces of nature?

He shook his head and slowly rose to his feet, ignoring the pain creeping up his sore arms. Beggars couldn't be choosers; Elies had fallen fast asleep, and Haze did too. As such, Ayko cleaved away at falling snowflakes until his limbs turned to jelly, and ice crystals dusted his skin.

"God...damn..." Ayko said between pained breaths.

His muscles throbbed, and his eyelids grew heavy– who would have thought training by his lonesome would be so exhausting?

Ayko snatched his lantern off the ground, bathing the white woods in a bright orange glow. It was time to return home, where a disapproving Elies would surely greet him. Either that or he'd be met with his brother's snoring.

Ayko took another branch in his hands when the bushes rustled, the sound accompanying the crunching snow beneath his feet. He stopped in his tracks and whirled around, holding his mock sword in front of him.

"You're caught!" Ayko shouted. He raised his lantern only to gasp. It wasn't a predator nor Elies coming to drag him back home. "You...I know you...!" He cocked an eyebrow. "...Don't I?"

Despite the glare of Ayko's lantern lighting his face, the man's glacial eyes retained their blue hue. His armor matched their color and sparkled like a polished gemstone, every corner aside from the red smear on his chest plate.

A nervous bead of sweat slid down Ayko's cheek. Was he lost?

"Perhaps you could aid me," Chestplate said.

"I don't have any orbs," Ayko said. "And I don't know how to reach the next town, either."

Chestplate shook his head. "I've no need for orbs, and something tells me I'm exactly where I need to be." He spilled the contents of his bag and laid out two chairs and a roaring fire with a single incantation.

Ayko gasped and stepped back. Elies couldn't do that! Could Yarrow?

"I'm in need of conversation," Chestplate said. He sat and smiled. "You'll indulge me, won't you?"

Ayko eyed the pair of skewers lodged in the knight's hand. A steaming piece of red flesh resembling a Tree crab's pincer or a Wasp Ant's stinger sat atop the stick. He'd eaten already, but anything this weirdo cooked up must have been better than the Mimbleroot Stew waiting at home.

A smile crept across Ayko's lips, and he nodded eagerly. "I will!"

Chestplate winked. "Good man," he said, tossing a skewer Ayko's way.

Ayko yelped when the steaming pincer fell into his hands, its heat causing him to fumble with it. He nearly hacked up a lung when he finally took a bite. Hairs clung to his tongue and the roof of his mouth.

"By the Gods! What is this?" Ayko said between coughs.

Chestplate burst into laughter. "Manticore. Killed it while you were playing paladin."

Ayko's face heated up, and he ran a hand through his hair. "You saw that...how long were you watching?"

"Long enough to realize you're green as grass. Even with a blade, you wouldn't kill anything swinging like that." Chestplate swallowed the manticore's pincer whole, stick and all. "Care to share with the class, then? The reason you're hauling an imaginary sword around? I'll return the favor and share mine."

Ayko couldn't help but return the knight's grin. He leaned forward. "I'm gonna slay a wolfcat!"

"With a branch?" Chestplate asked incredulously. He howled with laughter. "You peasants are all so adorable!"

Ayko folded his arms and looked away. "Yeah yeah," he muttered. "Tell me yours already."

"My reason, hm?" Chestplate smirked. "I've gotta kill a man hiding out here." His eyes met Ayko's. "You wouldn't know anyone named Naranin, would you?"

Ayko raised an eyebrow. Who? What in the inferno kind of name was that?

He opened his mouth to respond, but Chestplate cut him off.

"You know what? Forget I asked!" Chestplate chuckled. "It's no fun if someone just gives me the answer!"

Ayko flinched when Chestplate tossed something his way, a gasp falling from his lips when he eyed the rectangular object sitting in his hands. It was sheathed in mahogany leather, and three sinews held both halves together.

His eyes swelled to the size of the three moons in the sky when he slid it from its bindings, the leather prison giving way to the glinting piece of metal beneath.

A shortsword? Ayko thought, holding it before himself. It was as long as his forearm but heavy enough to make his arm ache with strain.

Ayko tore his gaze away from the blade, meeting Chestplate's eyes yet again. The armor-clad adventurer's lips formed a thin smile. "Something to start with," he said. "Play hero with that." He slouched into his chair and shut his eyes. "Thanks for indulging me."

*************

Ayko awoke a sniffling mess, his eyelids encrusted with ice and his nose drippings having turned to slush. A thin line of smoke rose from what was once his fire, and Chestplate was nowhere to be seen. Instead, it was Hazelmere sitting across from him, his friend clutching a steaming cup in her hands.

"Haze!" Ayko jumped up. "You didn't have to watch me sleep."

He shivered when the morning breeze caressed his bare skin, to which Hazelmere offered him the cup in her hands. Ayko slurped the velvet liquid without a second thought, proceeding to clutch his burning throat. It was none other than Peppergrape juice; the pungent liquid was among the many banes of his existence. Warmth coursed through his body, but he gagged nonetheless.

"If you wanted to warm me up, you could've—"

"I've decided to go with you!" Hazelmere blurted out.

Ayko held his tongue, instead raising his brow at her. "Why all of a sudden?"

"I..." Her cheeks reddened. "I'll do anything for you."

Ayko ruffled his hair. "Th-that's great!"

"But," she continued. "Elies—"

Ayko waved his hand dismissively. "I'll beat some sense into him, but the Wolfcat comes first." He twirled his sheathed shortsword. "I've gotta kill one, and it starts with this." 

"You'll need help beating Elies, too," Hazelmere laughed. "I'll help you do both."

"Alright then!" Ayko beamed at her. "But we've got three days to make this work."

Hazelmere nodded. "I understand."

********

Yarrow crouched down, cursing as the brush rustled against his robes. Relief washed over him when Ayko didn't so much as turn his head. A frown tugged at his lips when he watched Hazelmere nod at the young simpleton's words, the pair then vanishing into the trees.

"Not satisfactory," The old adventurer said.