Dust

Dust

My eyes slowly began to open after a few days. I felt, and looked, like a mummy who had just risen after a century. My whole body felt groggy and stiff. I groaned as I felt a dull pain in my forehead.

"How long did I sleep?"

I asked myself. The beds old and rotted wood creaked as I sat up, holding my head in my hand. I huffed in frustration as I heard the soft squeaking of baby rats under me. "Looks like some rat family just had some babies." I mentally grimaced the thought of more rats. The ones I had were bad enough. They ate my food, crewed up my radio wires and the worse part was they were the size of cats. That one part alone frightened me to endless degrees every night. I always would worry that one morning I would wake up without a toe or finger

But nonetheless, the large rodents and I had a peace treaty. I gave them food and occasionally attention. They left me be. I got off my bed. Wincing a bit as my feet hit the matted, red, dirty carpet for the first time in who-knows-when. I got on my hands and knees and looked under the bed. The darkness underneath the bed made it nearly impossible to see, though I swear I could make three sets of little, light green eyes softly glowing at me. I gently stuck my hand towards them. I closed my eyes as I drew nearer to the small, rodent family, mentally preparing myself for being bit. To my pleasant surprise, instead of being bit. I felt friendly nibbling on my fingers. I giggled giddily as I felt small rodent feet crawl up my arm.

"Marty? Is that you?" I giggled as I pulled out my arm. A large, short haired, light grey furred rat with black eyes crawled up my arm and onto my shoulder. "Marty, so you had me some more babies." I cooed, gently rubbing under the rats head. Although I hated most rats in general. Marty was more of a pet, and so I didn't mind her.

KNOCK, KNOCK, KNOCK!

Marty squeaked loudly, dashed off my arm and went back to her young. I huffed in annoyance and got up from my crouch. I felt my joints silently creak like a rusty, unoiled hinge as I stood up. I slogged over to the worn door and glanced my left eye through the peephole. There was two men, but they weren't from the nights before. They both looked surprising normal compared to the usual inhabitants here. I snickered softly, they stuck out like a sore thumb. The one on the left looked to be in his mid 20s. A good five years older than me. He had a skin tone that was a bit tanner than mine. His hair was a bit darker brown than my own, but instead of my messy long hair. His hair was styled in a old styled, pompadours hair cut. His eyes were a deep hazel and expression was firm and bitter. He was wearing a forest green, long sleeved, button-up, Egyptian cotton shirt with nearly khaki pants, though they looked to be more of a sand color, and light weight, brown shoes. The second man, the one on the right, was shorter, stockier and a bit older than his conterpart. He had far skin, blue eyes that shined like the sun reflecting off of a clear blue ocean and golden tinted hair that was cut in a buzzcut. He wore a light blue, long sleeved, turtle neck shirt. He wore a pair a pants that were a bit darker than the younger's pants and heavy weight, military grade boots that were worn and looked like they have been through war. 

"Hello?" I asked through the door. My voice trying to keep that dark hue I was needing, altough curiousity and some wonder was all that was found. 

Who were these men?

How did they find this place?

Did they know who I was?

much to my discomfort my thoughts were caught short as three more sharp and loud knocks cut through the silence. I groaned softly and wrapped my fingers around the cold, lonely, damaged steel, door knob. The door creaked and cried as I fought to open the broken door. The two men stared at me as if I was an alien from another planet.

Inept silence filled the doorway as I stood there. My dulled, brown eyes moving from one of the men onto the other. inspecting their bitter, cold faces. 

"Erik Schatten," The one on the right was the first to speak. His voice was firm, strong and to the point. He sounded as though he demanded respect. "We need your help. Greece has just stepped into World War two.."  My eyes widened, I was flabbergasted. Was this real? Was... Was I just imagining things?

Arthur's note: Hey, everyone! I just wanted to say that I'm so sorry for taking so long to post this chapter! DX I've been strugging with writer's block! But now that I found something , I'm going to run with it and try to update more often! I also wanted to thank everyone who has voted and commented on this book! Your support keeps me going! :3