Chapter 8

One day, Louise went looking for Mary and found her alone in her room, quietly weeping as she read a letter. Louise was immediately confused and concerned.

"Mary, what's the matter?" she asked gently, coming over to sit beside her distressed friend on the bed.

Mary wordlessly held out the letter, tears continuing to stream down her cheeks. With a sinking sense of dread, Louise took the letter and began reading. It was from Thomas, and its contents made Louise's heart drop. In his letter, Thomas regretfully informed Mary that he was breaking off their engagement and would be moving out west at once. He claimed the opportunity was too good to pass up, though his apologies and explanations sounded hollow.

"Oh Mary..." Louise said sympathetically, quickly folding the letter back up. "I am so very sorry. This is dreadful news."

Mary choked back a sob, burying her face in her hands. "I thought he loved me," she cried. "He promised we would be married! He even picked out a date! Why would he do this? What did I do wrong?" Louise wrapped her arms around her friend, feeling her own heart break at Mary's pain. She struggled to find the words to comfort her. "You did nothing wrong, Mary," she said finally. "It seems that Thomas...well, it seems that he has his own reasons for doing this. We may never understand them."

She felt rising anger towards Thomas for wounding Mary so, though she kept quiet for now, focusing on providing what little comfort she could. In the days that followed, Mary fell into a state of sadness and despair that Louise had never seen before. She remained confined to her bedroom, refusing meals, and declining to attend lessons. Louise visited her daily, trying to coax her to eat or go outside for some fresh air and exercise. But Mary simply lay on her bed, staring blankly at the walls as silent tears leaked down her cheeks.

When Louise raised concerns about Mary's state to their tutors, they dismissed it as a mere infatuation that would pass with time. But Louise remained unconvinced. This was not typical heartbreak - Mary was utterly despondent, and it was clear she needed help emerging from this pit of despair. Yet no one else seemed to share Louise's worry for her friend.

Still, Louise persisted in trying to lift Mary's spirits. She read aloud to her from their favourite books, reminisced over fond memories and detailed the happenings at school, hoping for any reaction. But Mary just laid there limply, her eyes dull and lifeless. When the headmaster also brushed off Louise's pleas for intervention, insisting Mary simply needed "toughening up," Louise took matters into her own hands. She went into town and bought sweet cakes, colourful hair ribbons, and scented soaps - small indulgences she hoped might spark some light back in Mary.

But the gifts went unused, and Mary remained sunken in her melancholy. Louise even tried appealing to the school's cook, who had always had a soft spot for the girls. "Can you please make Mary's favourite biscuits? Surely she'll eat those." Yet the tray of biscuits went untouched, Mary unmoved by the caring gesture.

As the days stretched into weeks, Louise became truly desperate to pull Mary out of this pit. She needed her bubbly, cheerful bosom friend back. Late one night after the other students were asleep, Louise snuck back into Mary's room.

"Mary, please, you must get up," Louise implored, sitting on the bed, and taking her hand. "I cannot bear to see you like this any longer. You have so much life yet to live, so much joy still to experience! Thomas was cruel, but you cannot let him ruin your spirit!"

For the first time, Mary's eyes seemed to focus on Louise. "But I loved him," she whispered hoarsely. "I cannot simply forget and carry on."

Louise squeezed her hand tightly. "No one is asking you to forget, or to stop hurting. But you can get through this, Mary. Let me help you - help me remember who you are deep inside. My darling friend who is loving and strong, not broken."

Mary looked at Louise. "I wish to go into town tomorrow," she said, her voice barely audible. "I have not been there in so long. Perhaps a change of scenery might do me some good."

Louise's heart leapt with hope. "That's a wonderful idea, Mary. I'd love to go with you. We could window shop, buy some sweets, and people watch. Whatever you'd like to do."

The next morning, they made their way into town, the fresh air and movement helping to lift Mary's spirits somewhat. They wandered aimlessly, taking in the sights and sounds of the bustling market. Louise's eyes lit up as she spotted a cart selling colourful ribbons, the perfect gift for Mary.

"Ribbons! Would you like one? They are so pretty," Louise exclaimed pointing at the cart.

"No..." Mary responded monotonously; her gaze still distant. "I cannot accept such frivolous gifts. Not when my heart still aches so."

"Oh..." Louise's enthusiasm deflated, disappointment evident in her voice.

"But you can buy for yourself," Mary offered, her voice barely above a whisper; "I have seen you admire them. You can have one if you'd like."

"Okay!" Louise exclaimed, her spirits lifting once more. "Let us go!" she suggested eagerly.

"No, I will stay here," Mary replied emotionless. "You go ahead and get one. I am sure you'll look lovely in it." Louise hesitated for a moment, glancing back and forth between Mary and the cart. She didn't want to leave Mary behind, but she also knew that this was the first sign of Mary's spirit starting to return.

With a deep breath, Louise took a step away from Mary and approached the cart. The vendor, an elderly black woman with a kind smile, greeted her warmly. "And what brings you here today, dearie?" she asked, her eyes twinkling with curiosity.

Louise pointed at the ribbons, her cheeks flushing slightly. "My friend has not been feeling like herself, so I wanted to buy her a gift to show her how much I appreciate her." The vendor nodded understandingly and handed her a red ribbon adorned with gold flowers.

As Louise turned back around, she saw Mary watching her from a distance, a small smile playing at the corners of her lips. The sight filled Louise's heart with warmth and gratitude. She carefully chose the prettiest ribbon from the cart, a delicate blue ribbon.

Suddenly, thunderous hoofbeats shattered their reverie. Louise wheeled around to see a wild-eyed stallion charging towards Mary, having broken free of its harness. "Mary, watch out!" Louise shrieked in warning. But it was too late...