Chapter 2: Angels

A.N. Who's here??

"Sadie, am I detecting some chemistry between you and Logan?" Courtney teased me in a sing-song voice. I groaned in my head. After Logan's remark on the boxcar roof I expected one of the girls to say something sooner or later. Courtney hadn't wasted any time—we were still making our way back to our cabin after having left the boys at the black train.

"What? What do you mean?" I decided to play dumb, always a go-to strategy.

"Uhhh he literally called you the football team's secret weapon, what do you mean what do you mean!" Courtney cried.

"It was pretty cute," Jessica added.

"All I'm saying is, I ship it," Courtney said bestowing her blessing. She would have loved it if there was something going on between me and Logan. In her head it probably increased the odds of something happening between her and Zack.

"I don't know, a youth group romance could get kinda messy," Jessica cautioned. "Like, I agree that Logan might be into you, but I also feel like Chris has been all over Sadie lately, don't you think Court?"

Chris? I thought back to earlier in the evening when he had red-rovered me to the ground. Chris was just like that. He had always been a prankster. But I could recognize the possibility.

"Honestly when has anyone not been all over Sadie?" Courtney responded. "Her and her perfectly tan skin. The rest of us don't stand a chance." She was teasing me, but I knew her insecurity was very real. Was that what she worried about? The brown girl stealing good country boy Zack from her?

"Yeah, that's what I mean," Jessica explained, "If Sadie dates someone in the youth group I feel like there'd be hurt feelings, you know? Or like, what if it doesn't work out and then it gets awkward?"

"Who in youth group is Sadie gonna date?" Jamie asked, appearing out of the darkness and making us all jump.

"Oh my gosh, you can't just sneak up on us like that!" Courtney scolded realizing the intruder was Jamie.

"And y'all can't dissect the good gossip without me, excuse you," Jamie replied.

"I'm not going to date anyone," I said firmly, hoping to avoid the conversation being re-opened with Jamie.

"And why not?" Jamie asked incredulously, not letting the subject go.

"Thank you," Courtney responded to Jamie. "Jessica says youth group romances are a bad idea, but if you think about it church is the perfect place to date. At least you know you're dating somebody who's a Christian and shares your values and stuff." I wondered if Courtney was still thinking about Logan and me, or her and Zack.

"That's so true," Jamie agreed.

"But that's my point," Jessica reasoned. "Church relationships should be serious, not just like, you know, worldly flings."

My stomach pulled at Jessica's comment. I had a feeling she wouldn't have had the same concern if we had been discussing the possibility of her or Courtney dating someone from church.

"Right, they can be deeper," Jamie added.

"Sadie and Logan could be serious," Courtney said, still defending her matchmaking choice.

"Ooo Sadie and Logan?" Jamie was excited to have been caught up. "I could definitely see it. Football player and cheerleader is basically fated."

"Guys, Logan and I go to school together, that's all," I said hoping to change the conversation. Before anyone could argue with me I asked Jamie how her evening had gone.