Chapter 3

Twenty Dollars-Worth of Love

Chapter 3

In two seconds flat my hands went from being dry to sweaty, and I'm sure I felt my blood rise to my face.

Please, no, no, no, no, no! My inner voice pleaded. I tried to calm myself but I knew it was useless.

I, Sky Dunbroch, am going to get killed, I declared to myself. 

"What's the matter?" Dane asked while staring shamelessly at the guys; saliva actually pooled in her mouth.

"N-Nothing," I murmured. I continued scrolling through my phone though I wasn't actually looking at it.

I glanced at Dane and saw her looking strange at the guys, a different stare, like she would devour them any moment.

I decided to call the waitress, I really need to distract myself.

"Hello and welcome to Bluebird Cafe. Can I get you anything?" the blonde waitress asked as her lips curved upward forming a small smile.

"I'll have a glass of mocha latte please," I said. I looked at Dane who was obviously busy, and I tugged on her shoulder to get her attention. 

"What?" she said sounding a bit annoyed. I eyed her and nodded my head to the waitress' direction.

"I'd like a.. strawberry shortcake," Dane said then quickly returned to her task.

"I'll be back in a moment," the waitress said politely and walked away, heading to the kitchen.

"Dane, stop drooling," I said and looked at her sharply.

"I can't help it, Sky," she whined and rolled her eyes at me.

After a couple of minutes of awkwardness for me and droolingness (if there's such a word) for Dane, I finally heard the soft thumping sound of the waitress' heels hitting the floor as she walked towards us.

I looked at her and that's when I really saw what she looked like. She was fairly tall, her curly blonde hair passed her shoulders (and yes, her hair was tamed and looked nice unlike mine). Her fair body was a bit skinny but she wasn't out of shape in any means.  Her black body-hugging blouse fit her upper body perfectly and her slender long legs moved gracefully in her above the knee-length skirt. She has the most sweet blue eyes I have ever seen, and her lips moved upward again forming a smile.

She placed the warm, mouth watering shortcake in front of Dane and the glass of cold mocha latte opposite me.

"Thanks.." I trailed off and looked at her name plate that read Jessica on it.

"Thanks, Jessica," I said and she chuckled lightly. My dark orange brows furrowed when I saw her reaction.

"Actually, this isn't mine. I'm Bayley by the way," she explained and held out her right hand to me, her left one holding the tray firmly.

"Oh, thanks Bayley. I'm Sky," I said shaking her hand. I let go and said, "That's Danielle by the way. But she's too busy checking out those guys while eating her food at the same time so I'll her introduce her again next time," I said smiling and nodded my head to the guys' direction. Bayley looked at that direction and a glint of amusement was in her eyes as her smile grew wider. I wonder why?

"Sure, I gotta go now. See you, Sky," she said and waved off as she was walking to the next table.

"Hey, Sky," I heard Dane said in between chews of her food.

"What?" I said as I took a sip of my mocha latte.

"She's kind of pretty," Dane said, referring to Bayley.

"Yes," I said honestly. In the back of my mind I can still see Bayley's face when she saw those guys.

Hey.

I almost forgot about the psycho who was in the same room with us.

Not bad with the distraction, mocha latte. I smiled feeling silly at myself.

I shuffled through my bag and paid for my latte and Dane did the same.

I finger-combed my hair (or atleast tried to), the naughty curls twisting in my fingers. Okay, this sucks. I made a mental note not to finger-comb my hair again if I don't want it to fall off in public. Carefully, my fingers worked their way out of my curls and thank God, it didn't fall off. If it did, I could have just died in the spot.

 Especially with that psycho in the room.

Am I being self-concious right now?

I quickly pushed that thought away and faced Dane. 

"You ready to go?" I said.

"Yeah, let's go," she answered and we both stood up from our table.

Okay, one more problem: walking out of the cafe without being noticed by psycho. 

Easy. I can do this. I chanted inside my head.

We walked all the way through the cafe since we sat at the end table.

Just walk, Sky. You can do it. 

By the time we were almost at the door, a man, probably a waiter in the cafe came in the glass door. He was carrying three large coolers filled with ice and he was walking to our direction. His entire upper body was covered by the coolers, so I assumed he can't see what's on his way.

Wait.

He was walking to our direction and he can't see anything on his way.

Before my mind can even process it, I felt a cold bucket of ice hit my body. Or more like a cold cooler filled with ice was thrown open to me. I shivered and I bet my lips were turning purple.

"Oh God, Sky!" I heard Dane said.

I opened my mouth but nothing came out. My sight started spinning in circles and then everything turned darker. I felt my knees go weak, and I felt myself falling as my surroundings turned completely black.

"Somebody call 911!" I heard someone said.

Then it was all nothing but darkness.