Chapter Six

In my past life, reading always felt like a luxury

In my past life, reading always felt like a luxury. Before I got into acting, reading was a passtime I very much enjoyed and took pride in. If a book was good enough, I was able to get it done within a day... depending on the length of course and how small the font was. I always felt that as I became more famous and booked more roles, my love for reading started to diminish. It became a forgotten hobby and my bookshelf was left to collect dust.

One of my recent reads had been a fantasy type novel involving a world of magic. In said novel, the main character grew up with an unfortunate life full of hunger, pain, and poverty. That's until it was discovered that she was the saintess, a being who hadn't graced the lands in almost five decades. Within a matter of hours, her life went from extremely difficult to soft mode. In the end, she somehow becomes the empress and guides the nation while still completing her duties as saintess.

Maybe that's why it took me so long to realize why certain things in this world seemed so familiar. I haven't been here long, but this nagging sense of deja vu never seems to go away. That especially rings true now that I've met my cheating husband and his mistress.

As if things couldn't have been worse, I now realize that I'm one of the antagonists of a novel. It was one I read recently before my sudden rebirth: From Saintess to Empress. Not only am I the neglected wife of the emperor, but I'm also the bitch who torments the saintess every chance she gets. The novel only depicted Chrysanthy as a jealous woman who cared for no one but herself.

"Son of a bitch," I mutter.

"Excuse me?" The priest glances back at me, his eyes wide but eyebrows furrowed.

Offering a small, innocent smile, I shake my head. "I only said I could use a sandwich."

"Ah, it would be a good time to have lunch. Especially for the little one you're carrying."

Yeah, like you care, I think to myself. When the older man turns away, I roll my eyes and fold my hands against my bulging belly. In that area, I feel an unmistakable kick. It would seem the kid doesn't like this weird priest either.

When he stops outside of a door, I almost do a dance out of relief. I'm slightly out of breath after such a long walk from my garden and all the way here. After dealing with this man, I'm now mentally exhausted and ready for a long nap. Somehow, it also feels like I'm soon going to step on a landmine. At least, it feels like I'm being set up. It's an inkling I can't seem to properly explain.

The priest knocks on the door and calls out to the emperor. From this side, we can both clearly make out a crash and the squeal of a woman. It becomes silent on the other side before a deep voice tells us to enter. Grabbing the knob, the priest pushes the door open and we both enter. Instantly, the smell of jasmine flowers fills my nostrils, making me nauseous. Lifting a hand to my nose, I look around the office. I take in the large bookshelf in the corner, the medium-sized coffee table in the center surrounded by two couches, the large desk where my idiot husband sits, and the huge window behind him. Opposite from the bookshelf is a tall stand with a white vase full of the source of that nauseating smell.